seven

CHAPTER SEVEN;so this is peter parker

CHAPTER SEVEN;
so this is peter parker

RAIN DRUMS AGAINST THE WINDOW IN A STEADY RHYTHM. Outside, warm weather turns sour in a fast downpour. Down washes the sunlight of early spring as it's replaced by gloomy skies and murky street puddles.

Inside, Amala sits on her vanity chair, applying a light layer of blush against her cheeks. She takes her liquid eyeliner pen and in a subtle motion, creates a small wing that meets to the middle of her lash line. She repeats the step to her other eye, making sure they're mostly even. Once she's satisfied, she finishes her makeup by simply highlighting her inner corners and putting mascara.

She takes a glance at her reflection and is met with a satisfactory makeup look — perfect for an outing to the café. Getting up from her chair, she walks to her closet and opens both doors. An array of clothing are hung and stacked together and Amala takes a moment to look through her choices.

It's raining in April which means it's not cold but it's not warm either. She could probably get away with jeans and short sleeves or a skirt with thin long sleeves. She stills for a moment before deciding on a plaid gray tennis skirt, a thin black long sleeve and a oversized jacket.

She puts them on and takes a small twirl in front of her body length mirror. Then, she grabs four gold rings for each hand, a small emerald green backpack (with a pencil case, two notebooks and her laptop), and her house keys.

Amala walks out of her room and walks across the hallway towards her living room where both her parents are.

Her mother, Nada Amin, is in the corner of the room, paint and pallete in hand, filling out a canvas. As a full time nurse, it's rare for her mom to have free time to indulge in her artistic hobbies.

Across the room, her father is sat on the living room couch, pillow and laptop against his lap as his fingers type vigorously. Omar Amin works for a large I.T company and was recently promoted to be the General Manager of the whole firm. This means, his hours are a little longer but they've lived a much more comfortable life since.

Amala pads against the carpet and enters the doorway. She sits against the ottoman and slips on her black boots, before turning around to address her parents.

"Alright, I'm gonna go now." She says. "I'll text you guys when I'm there, okay?"

"Where are you going, Zahra?" Her father says curiously, using her childhood nickname (that means flower in Arabic).

"I'm going to Starbucks to work on my Biology project, remember?" She supplies.

"Alone?" Her father asks.

"No, Baba. I'm working with a classmate." Amala tells her father who has now gotten up to talk to her at their doorway.

"Who's this classmate?" He asks suspiciously.