eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN;friends?

CHAPTER ELEVEN;
friends?

SATURDAY MORNINGS ARE SACRED TO AMALA.

After a full week of early wake-ups and sleeping with sun, the mere thought of rest excited her beyond belief.

Last night had been a little rough; she had not slept till five a.m due to her headache. For hours, she tossed and turned until the sheets were slipping off the mattress and the pillows were upside down. At some point, Amala gave up and decided to let sleep come to her instead of chasing it.

During her wakeful hours, Amala sat on her balcony, little flashlight in one hand, a book in the other. She enjoyed the chilly wind and the soft chirping of crickets — all the while she flipped through page after page.

Time passed by calmly until a sudden woosh was heard. Amala had tensed up, senses at a high at the foreign noise. She had waited intently, heart and chest heaving, until a figure clad in spandex landed on her balcony.

Amala smiled softly.

"Spider-man," she said quietly. "Hey."

"Amala," he replied, jumping on her railing swiftly and sitting; his legs dangling dangerously into the streets below. "Hello."

She closed her book, squeezing her bookmark through the creases. "How - um - how are you?" She asked awkwardly, unsure of what to say.

He simply laughed. "I'm okay. Just swingin' around, I guess. What about you?"

"Can't sleep." Amala said.

He made an "oh" sound before saying: "Well, it's a nice coincidence that you're awake. I was just passing by and stuff..."

Her brows furrowed and a playful smile tugged on her lips. "Oh, passing by?"

He coughed. "Yeah! I mean - yeah, yeah. Ya' know... just friendly neighborhood Spider-man stuff — I just do a sweep of the city sometimes, in case..." He said in one go before pausing for a moment. "And... well, I was hoping you'd be awake."

Amala stared at him and though she couldn't see his face, she sensed quiet nerves. She smiled. "Well, it's a good thing I'm awake, huh?"

Spider-man laughed and nodded. "Yeah, good thing."

They turned quiet after that. Amala wasn't sure what the silence meant, but she found herself unbothered by it all — it was neither tense nor unpleasant.

They both quietly inhaled the night air, staring at the same sky; the moon, the stars and all of it in between. The night was such a beautiful thing and, surprisingly, the company of a certain hero made it all the better.

But then she remembered.

"Hey, um - thank you for the flowers, by the way." She said, rubbing her hands together to create a bit of warmth. "They're really beautiful. Lavenders are my favorite — you're right."