twenty six

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX;so it's you

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX;
so it's you.

AMALA DROPS HER PHONE ON THE BED AND LOOKS TOWARDS THE DOOR. For a moment, she stills. Her eyes seer holes into the wood as she waits.

Seconds later, a knock sounds from the door.

Her eyes widen. She didn't actually think he would come — not after all that's happened today.

But her feelings towards his safety do not change and she rushes to the door.

She takes a deep breath and weighs her thoughts. Pat of her is angry — furious even. Once again, she put her trust into Peter only to have it stepped on. It's ridiculous. Each time, Amala feels like a larger idiot. However, the other part of her is relieved and overjoyed. He's safe and regardless of her disagreements with him, that comes first.

She sighs and opens the door.

Outside, Peter stands nervously, his hands playing with the strap of his backpack. His face lights up once he sees Amala and he smiles softly.

Despite her relief, her face remains stoic. Yes, she is grateful he's alright but it doesn't mean she isn't angry at him.

"Peter," she addresses quietly.

"Amala," Peter swallows and looks away.

Her throat feels tight. "I'm glad you're alright."

He looks back at her. "Me- me, too. I was - uh - I was worried."

"Were you?" Amala practically barks, bitterness to her words.

Peter lets out a shaky breath and tightens his hold on his bag. "I deserve that," he mumbles. "But, yeah. I was."

For some reason, the raven regrets her little outburst. Still, she remains strong; she's too angry to take it back.

"That's nice, Peter." She starts off, crossing her hands to her chest. "So was I, you know?"

"I know and -"

"No. You don't know." Interrupts Amala, suddenly tired of formalities. "Do you know how shitty it feels to be blind-sighted by you again?"

Peter's eyes scrunch in regret. "I'm sorry, Amala. Really. I -"

"Are you sorry?" She says, her voice getting a bit louder. "Are you? How many times has this happened? I finally feel like we're okay again and then you disappear on me! Not only that, you disappear in the middle of a fucking catastrophe!" Amala finishes, her voice shaking with anger.