22.

India Vazquez
Sinaloa, Mexico

We found ourselves gathered at my grandmother's ranch in Mexico, celebrating my father's older brother, Francisco's birthday

We found ourselves gathered at my grandmother's ranch in Mexico, celebrating my father's older brother, Francisco's birthday. The atmosphere was electrifying, filled with an assortment of family members, neighbors, and friends of my uncle. We had all adorned our finest attire in honor of his special day, with a lively mariachi band providing the musical backdrop. My brother, my cousin Nico, and he in a slightly inebriated state, enthusiastically sang along with the mariachi.

When they had concluded their performance, my uncle took hold of the microphone.

"I want to express my gratitude to my family and friends who are here to celebrate with me today," he began, his eyes gleaming with happiness. "My beautiful mother, Griselda... My sons, Julio and Ricardo, and my grandson. My nephews, Nico, Joan, Pablo, Juan, Tyler, Manuel, Kevin, Alex, and Carlos," he continued, a wide grin spreading across his face. "My brothers, Tito, Jorge, and Javier. I wish my little brother Christian could be here with us today, but I know he's in heaven with my father. I also want to thank my nephew, Christopher, for joining us, my brother's twin, and my one and only niece, India Elena," he said, gesturing for me to approach him. I got up and stood beside him. "These two are the most wonderful gifts my brother left me, and I want to thank him for that. Every time we celebrate me, we celebrate my brother. Que siga la fiesta... órale wey!" He returned the microphone to the mariachi and wrapped his arms around my brother and me.

"I love y'all, always," he said, planting a kiss on my head.

"I love you too," I replied with a smile as he led me to the dance floor, and we began to dance.

"Yeah, pa! Show 'em your fancy footwork!" Julio exclaimed, holding his son.

After the mariachi had finished playing their song, I returned to where Jamila was engrossed in conversation with Julio's wife and my cousin Joan's girlfriend, Lisbeth.

"India, I had no idea you could dance pico," Lisbeth remarked as she munched on some chips.

"My sis Tai showed me a few moves, and Grandma too," I replied, taking a sip of my drink.

"Man, I remember when you were just 14, and I was 20 when me and Julio were together, and your grandpa used to throw these great parties," Tai reminisced.

"Yes, remember that time we were at the ranch in Tijuana, and something was crawling on my leg, and they thought I was dancing, but I was just trying to shake it off?" We all chuckled.

"I was your biggest cheerleader," Tai laughed.

"Those were good times," I mused, fondly recalling the enjoyable moments I had experienced here and in San Diego.

"What's a good party without fireworks?" my cousin Tyler declared, placing the fireworks in a safe area away from the crowd, with the assistance of Chris and Kevin.