We failed

Six years later

John

I'm sitting at the bar with Greg and I can't help but feel like he's hiding something from me. He keeps looking at his phone and then his watch and then back again. 

"Greg what are you waiting on?" He looks at me but doesn't respond. I get even more confused when he gets a call from Mycroft and grabs it quickly before walking outside to answer it. 

Rosie is at school and Sherlock is with Mycroft and Eurus at the moment so I don't have a damn clue what to do and now Greg's walked off to talk with his husband and I'm left alone again. When Greg walks back in he seems even more worried than before.

"Did something happen?" He nods and drinks the rest of his beer and orders another. 

"Something the three of them have been working on for some time now isn't going how it's supposed to and it was supposed to be done today. By the looks of things it may not be done for another year or two and they don't have that kind of time." He says and I nod.

"How long have they been working on this?" Greg takes a drink of his new beer before looking at me.

"About 20 years give or take." He says and I get confused. 

"What the hell have they been working on that's taken them this long?" 

Greg stays quiet now and looks into his beer. He knows but won't tell me. Why, why can't I know about what's going on? I see the door open up to the bar and I see Molly walk in and rush over to us quickly.

She whispers something to Greg and he gets up before throwing some money down on the counter and running out with Molly right behind him. I get even more confused and call Sherlock. 

"Come on, answer you twat." I put some money on the counter as well to pay for my drinks and walk out of the bar. Sherlock doesn't answer the phone so I try Eurus, Mycroft, Greg, and Molly. I get the same thing from all of them and shove my phone back into my pocket. 

I hale a cab and he takes me back to Baker Street where I wait until it's time to go pick up Rosie from school. Maybe by then one of them will call me back and I can get an explanation for what's going on.

Three hours later

I go get Rosie from school and there still isn't an answer from any of them. I tried calling and texting them all but nothing. Rosie is sitting in the kitchen working on homework while I wait. Mrs. Hudson walks up and places a try down on the table and leaves us some tea before walking out and going back into her flat.

My phone rings and I grab it quickly to see it's from Sherlock.

"You better have a damn good bloody reason for not answering me!"

"Nice to hear from you as well."

"Sherlock!"

"I'm sorry, and I love you. Better?" 

"A bit."

"Good enough."

"So where are you and why haven't you answered?"

"I'm with my siblings as I told you this morning."

"I know that but where as is exact location."

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that."

"And just exactly why not?"

"Because you don't need to worry about it."

"Sherlock Holmes you are my husband and you tend to get yourself into a lot of life or death situation. It is my job to worry about it."

I hear the phone being passed to another person.