6

when the world slowed down,
when they started facing away,
will you still be the one,
who'd hold her face and say that it's okay ?

🕊

"okay can you take a deep breath slowly for me ?"

juyeon closes his eyes while gripping the side of the bed sheet, inhaling the cool fresh air slowly; his face turns red as the air went through both of his lung, squishing the weak heart in his body. he inhaled as deep as he can, bearing the pain that attacks him every seconds.

the tall, braided hair doctor smiles at him. her hand holding the stethoscope on his chest, monitoring the heart beating inside. "you're doing great ! im sure they'll get you in that OR anytime soon and give you a new heart" her eyes twinkles, clearly.

he smiles, can't lie the fact that his heart races at the thoughts of finally being able to live a proper life after he gets the new heart. he has been waiting for this moment, basically his whole life.

born with a death sentenced disease; everyone thinks that he's lucky to get the heart, that it's a miracle he survives that far. he can finally live the life he's been wanting.

well, for him, he can't deny that he feels lucky; but he also admits that the guilt overpowered the lucky feeling in him.

someone else died, and he gets to live with the person's heart. whoever they are, he is grateful that he has this second chance.

"doctor chae ?" he says as his head sinks in the pillow again. "is the recovery after surgery will be painful ?"

sara's head shots up as her hand stops writing whatever it is on the paper, smiling at the patient infront of her. she's silent for awhile, thinking of the best way to lay out the answer to his concerns.

"any recovery from whatever treatments for diseases will be painful, but don't think too much about it. we'll take a good care of you so just focus on getting better !"

her pager beeps loudly after that, signalling there's someone who needs her somewhere else. she pulls out the pager, holding it in her hand as the code pops out.

"hyunjae.." she mumbles."i need to go now so if you need me just press that pager beside you" juyeon just nods as she ran out the room leaving him.

sara ran to the ward of hyunjae's patient, arriving breathless. the room is full with people busy moving around in sync, having one determined mindset; saving a life.

"doctor lee, talk to me" the nurses gowned her as she looks at him, wanting answer.

"patient was breathing fine post surgery but a few minutes ago she starts hyperventilating and her airways is blocked, she couldn't breathe" hyunjae breathes out, panicking.

"get her in the operating room and page doctor kim, she needs to be cut open again and we should find out what's wrong"

both of the doctors plugged the patient off and start pushing the bed straight into the operating room with the help of nurses. their hands shakes in fear because they knew every passing seconds could determine the patient's life and death.

younghoon arrives a minute later, catching his breath as he enters the operating room. a sigh escaped his lips when he saw the person laying down the table, waiting to be cut open again.

"doctor chae and doctor lee, both of you can scrub in with me. i need hands, let's use both pair of your healthy ones"

sara rushes into the scrubbing area, expecting hyunjae to follow her. instead, he stays still outside the room.

"jae ? come on we don't have time" she turns back, raising an eyebrow.

but he stays still, as if his feets were glued down.

as if his body was preventing him to have control.

her voice echoes through his head, but it only passes like the wind.

weak. you're too weak.

he took a step back as the noises starts ringing in his head, and then he feels it.

he feels his body giving up on him.