The Affair with Minnie

Dear Regulus,

   How are you doing? I hope seventh year isn't too terrible without us here. We're all here for you okay, only a letter away. All the lads and ladies besides Peter and I are crazy busy with helping the war effort. Peter's gotten a job at the Flourish and Botts as an assistant manager and is doing really well. I'm just glad I managed to convince him to choose a different path, I think it will do wonders for the future of the war.

   I've been busy too. Curse-Breaking is bloody exhausting! I knew it was life-threatening but I didn't expect to have to pull all-nighters four times a week! On the bright side, I've made some new friends which is always a positive. They're part of the war effort too.

   Anyway, enough about me. How's preparing for N.E.W.T.S exams going? You only have about two and a half months left. I'm sure you'll do fine though Mr. Advanced Astronomy.

   Do you think you'll be able to make it to Lily and James' wedding this weekend? I know they would really love to see you again, we all would. I'm not sure what the protocol is for leaving Hogwarts to go somewhere other than Hogsmeade, but I'm sure I, or one of the others could negotiate it.

   Oh, gosh I have to go, another mission ugh! Just remember you aren't alone, don't get stuck in your head. Hope to see you soon Reg.

  - Fawn.

  The letter stayed in Regulus' robe-pocket for the rest of the day. Parting with Fawn's kind words wasn't an option. He knew there was some sort of system, because for the past three weeks he'd get a letter a day from someone different, all basically saying the same thing.

   Some may say it was redundant but it wasn't. The letters helped a lot. The panic attacks became far less frequent, the thoughts of turning back dissipated and instead left a peace in his mind.

   Regulus was doing the right thing. This was never something he'd thought he'd do; stop believing in bloody-purity, turn his back on his family, befriend blood-traitors—especially not those from Gryffindor.

Regulus Black wasn't Sirius. He didn't wear his heart on his sleeve, he didn't stand up against the bullying, but he knew what he believed and he was making silent, subtle efforts to stand up for those beliefs. He'd burn the letters from his mother that still showed up on occasion, begging him to return, promising a good life and protection.

   "Dear son, I'm sure you are frightened, especially with the Disownment of Sirius... but you are nothing like your brother. Come back now and your father and I will still welcome you back with open arms. There won't be any punishment if you come back by Christmas..."

   They were fishing for an heir. Uncle Alphard had died a year ago, Uncle Cygnus was too busy... Regulus was the only male Black left that was suitable to be an heir.

   He pinched the bridge of his nose. He never wrote back, he never said no, but hoped that the silence would speak for him. Apparently it did not. Everything was so complicated. Sleep was impossible. Food just stared mockingly at the boy with hollow cheeks. Sitting still was a monumental accomplishment these days. Potions and Herbology homework had now become an option instead of a requirement.

   What was happening to the straight-backed, obedient, prince of Slytherin who commanded respect without a single word?

   That boy was gone, replaced with a tired young man who didn't know exactly what to do anymore. All his life, Regulus had had everything planned out by his parents. He was supposed to have straight O's, be a prefect and Head Boy, be a quidditch captain, have a high ranking job in the Ministry, marry Alecto Carrow, work for the Dark Lord, and have at least two kids, one needing to be a boy no matter what.

   And yet, here he was only the Head Boy dream having been fulfilled. Alecto Carrow disgusted him, the Ministry was becoming more and more corrupt with every day, so much so that Regulus wanted nothing to do with it, he'd left his family and therefore had no need for devotion to the Dark Lord, and the idea of having kids or even engaging in the acts that made such sounded absolutely repulsive.

All he wanted was to help Fawn, end the war, and have a peaceful life living alone in the woods spending his time painting, reading and writing poetry. Was that really too much to ask?

*****

   Lily was shaking her hands around wildly, pacing in her long white gown up and down the small dressing room where the bride-to-be and bridesmaids were waiting for the ceremony to begin.

   "Deep breathes Lil," said Marlene, "It's going to be okay."

   The bride's face was flushed with heat, her carefully styled hair slowly falling out of place.

  "What if I mess up the vows? What if I trip down the aisle? I think I'm going to throw up—Oh my gosh what if I vomit on James? I can't vomit on James!" she wailed. "What if I start crying? What if Euphemia and Fleamont don't actually like me and turn into those awful mother and father in-laws in those stories? We-wer're eighteen! What if we're too young? Are we making a mistake? Maybe we should have waited. James offered to wait. Why did I have to agree so quickly? We planned this wedding in three months! This is going to be a disaster. I—"

     "Lily calm down!" shouted Fawn over her rambling. She grabbed her hands. "You love him right?" Lily nodded rapidly. "Good, then go up there and continue loving him. You are marrying him because you love him. Right now, nothing else should matter except your love for each other, okay?"

   Lily took a shaky breath. "O-Okay you're right, Fawn, thank you."

   "It's natural to be nervous on your wedding day Lils," said Alice, "I thought I was completely calm but I definitely was freaking out the entire time. But trust me, it's worth it. So worth it."

    "Yeah, yeah, thanks guys. Sorry."

They all assured her that she had nothing to worry about.

    "And," Fawn pointed out, "Regulus and Dorcas managed to leave Hogwarts for this if that's any reassurance."

Lily snorted. "Yes. That helps a lot."

  "I figured it would."

  The rest of the day and evening went off without a hitch. The nerves had melted away like ice cream on a summer day. James had at first stuttered over his words but once he locked his eyes with his wife's, his speech was silk.

   Sirius somehow managed to convince McGonagall—who had been the officiant—to dance with him. Remus and Lily had shared a look when James immediately swooped into the dance.

    "We both can't compare to McGonagall," said Remus.

  Lily rolled her eyes. "Of course not. He married me but we all know that I'm well behind her and Sirius."

   Remus raised his glass. "Cheers to our lovers who are really just dating each other and having an affair with Minnie." The glasses clinked together.

  "Cheers to that."