Into My Own Hands

Horcruxes; the most vile of dark magic. Fawn couldn't even begin to count her blessings that she managed to stumble across the concept in one of the Curse-Breaking novels. She knew immediately that Regulus needed to know about it. Maybe he couldn't do much with the information but he could certainly do more than she could.

Though she could do something; she could go to Dumbledore. It wasn't the best idea, the man may just brush her off, but there wasn't exactly another option.

Sirius and Remus had noticed her increased distress over the summer months. They noticed the pacing, the way that now the flat was suddenly dust free and sparkling, how Fawn always seemed to be stuck in her mind, being a million places at once, none of which were where she was physically. When Fawn walked straight into the Order headquarters they knew for certain that something was up.

"I need to speak with Albus Dumbledore."

Fawn stood, head raised high, eyes scanning the room for the man with the long white beard. There was no wavering in her demeanor, she was the essence of confidence.

"Fawn," questioned Sirius, "what are you doing here?"

  "I need to speak with Dumbledore," she repeated, not in the mood to converse further. "Where is he?" Lily directed her to the back room where he was apparently talking with the Tonks family. They would just have to wait.

The back room was actually just a small kitchen. The Tonks couple and Dumbledore were chatting over biscuits and tea instead of leading the meeting the rest of the members were there for. A young girl with bright pink hair was bouncing on her mother's lap, trying to steal a biscuit from her mother's saucer.

Fawn cleared her throat, disrupting the peaceful atmosphere. "Sorry to interrupt but I need to speak with you, Professor Dumbledore."

Dumbledore seemed to have been expecting as such and nodded. "Certainly Miss Briggs, I had a feeling you'd be coming around soon enough." He waved his wand, bringing over another chair. "Please," he motioned to the chair openly, "have a seat."

Fawn was hoping to have a private conversation but Dumbledore was in no mind to dismiss the Tonks' and Fawn didn't have the time or energy to care.

Mrs. Tonks, who told Fawn to call her Andromeda, offered tea and Fawn accepted, drinking slowly and silently challenged the man who viewed himself as a mentor. She took a long drink, hoping he'd crack first but alas, he did not.

The tea cup clinked lightly against its saucer, a bit of hot golden liquid spilling down its side. Dumbledore's hands were folded under his chin. He stared intently at Fawn, a small smile ever-present on his aged face. She took a deep breath.

"What do you know about horcruxes?"

Oh what a familiar question.

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows and nodded to himself. She'd figured it out.

The Tonks' were silent. Ted was confused but Andromeda's entire life froze hearing that one fated word. She had had her suspicions before she'd left home, of course she had, but wouldn't have dared asked anyone about it or gone looking for confirmation of such a thing.

"I think," the headmaster began, "the real question here, Miss Briggs, is what do you know about horcruxes?"

The games were over. Beating around the bush was useless. Dumbledore knew something yet he'd do nothing until Fawn said outright what she wanted.

"I came across the concept of them during my Curse-Breaking studies. It makes sense. I think Voldemort is making them so that he may become immortal. I already have my suspicions about what at least one of them is." She did not mention that Regulus Black was aware of this information, she knew that wouldn't do anyone any good.

Andromeda Tonks shuddered. "I thought maybe that was what he was doing but the idea of anyone being so deeply soulless..." Her head shook. "I couldn't fathom it."

Dumbledore nodded again. "Yes, a very soulless act indeed. I've had my own suspicions for many years and believe you are correct, Miss Briggs. Voldemort is chasing immortality."

"If you suspected such, why haven't you done anything about it? This war started in nineteen seventy. You've had nine years."

The air was thick. Fawn felt as though the hair of the back of her head was standing on end. Any lingering trust that Dumbledore really was going to be the downfall of Voldemort was completely falling apart. He knew the entire time and yet did nothing. Everything could have been avoided.

"Horcruxes are extremely rare and dark magic. And even if I did have proof, finding and destroying them is a nearly impossible task."

Fawn was livid. "Are you not the most powerful wizard of this age?" she challenged, "Is it not you who Voldemort is solely afraid of?"

"Yes." Dumbledore stroked his beard. "But as I've said Horcruxes are extremely—"

"Yeah, no offense but I don't really give a shit. I'd rather a few people die for a good cause and bring about Voldemort's defeat than let him live on forever and strike this world into tyranny and Dictatorship."

"Are you volunteering?"

Andromeda's hands slammed against the table as she stood. "She is nineteen years old Albus!"

Ted was on his feet now as well. "You can't possibly be requesting a near-child to take on a task like this! You are the greatest wizard of all time, you admit so yourself. Why don't you do this then? Honestly, you haven't been on the front lines of this war at all!"

"No," Fawn answered firmly now joining the young couple on her feet, "I will take on this task. Ted's right, you haven't done anything and that is part of the reason I never joined the Order in the first place. I will save them, but I'm doing it on my own accord. I do not want any of your help or assistance though that shouldn't be too difficult given that you haven't offered any."

The rest of the order watched as Fawn stormed out of the safe house.

What on earth was going on?