Procrastination and Friendship

The flat was quiet, it always was these days. The grandfather clock in the living room continued to tick along reminding Fawn that time wouldn't stop.

Sirius was out. Another Order meeting he claimed but it was pretty clear he just needed to be alone again.

Remus was on a mission for Dumbledore. He was scouting the werewolves despite Fawn and Sirius' protests. He needed to help the war effort. He needed to do something for Dumbledore because without the old man, Remus knew he wouldn't be half the man he was today.

Fawn was home, alone. Curse-Breaking had slowed as most of the Gringotts members had joined the Order and that was taking priority these days.

The flat was in need of dusting, a thick blanket of gray coated almost every surface. Late spring sun shown in through windows splattered with dry outlines of prior rain drops. A half-eaten bagel rested on the kitchen table. Fawn had no clue who had been the one eating it or how long it's been there. A house fly seemed to enjoy it though. The place really needed cleaning but Fawn, no matter how many times she convinced herself she'd do it tomorrow, never got around to doing so.

A frustrated sigh left her lips, fluttering her bangs that could use a trim as they were dangerously close to her eyes. It had been two months since they'd last seen Regulus, since the half-truth had been revealed. His graduation would be any day now, Fawn had forgotten to mark it on the calendar that was still turned to May.

She missed the young man desperately but knew that this was how things needed to be now. He was safe, that much sure. Protected by the Death-Eaters and his loyalty to Voldemort, Fawn didn't need to worry about Regulus, not yet at least. He was smart, he knew how to play his part without slipping up. His promise of being okay would hold true for a while.

Her thoughts then shifted to Peter. She hadn't seen him in weeks—granted she hadn't seen much of anyone in weeks—but still figured she owed the guy a visit. It'd give her something to do and an opportunity to procrastinate the long overdue chores even more.

Truthfully Fawn was just waiting for the flat to consume itself. Yes, she was an adult but was cleaning really necessary? Yes. She knew it was, but with the war and her own stress and anxiety the house could be overrun by mould and she would rather just move than expend more energy than needed.

She threw on an old pair of jeans, exchanged the jumper she'd been wearing for the past three ways for a t-shirt, threw on some shoes, grabbed her wand and apparated out of the home as quickly as possible. She could not escape the flat fast enough.

Peter was living with his mother. The woman, Peter said, had never lived alone and wasn't able to fully support herself now that her father who had been helping out the two for years had passed away.

The house was a small rickety old thing, the paint was chipped and the lawn overgrown. The curtains were still drawn and a small pile of Muggle post sat on the doorstep next to the overfilled mailbox. Fawn knew Peter was busy with work but was curious at why he hadn't bothered to bring in the letters, that were surely filled with bills, inside.

She took the two small steps up to the porch, smiling softly at the faded doormat that read 'welcome to the Pettigrew's.' A rocking bench sat to the side looking quite sad. Clearly the poor thing hadn't been rocked in for a while. But never mind all that, Fawn thought, thinking she must've really gone mental this time for feeling sad for inanimate outdoor furniture.

She rapped quickly on the door, hearing the slight echoing from inside. After a moment a voice called that they were coming and the door creaked open. Peter stood before her, unshaven in sweatpants and an oversized shirt.

"Fawn?"

Fawn grinned at him. "Hey Pete, hope you don't mind that I'm here, I just wanted to stop by, make sure you're doing okay."

Peter's expression changed quickly into one of relief. "Yes of course, it's great to have you. Please, come in." His tone was almost pleading with her. He was probably sick of living in this place with his mum and having little to no outside interaction.

The interior of the home was much more put together than the outside and Fawn was pleased to find that the Pettigrew's had air-conditioning.

"Mum's out for brunch with some friends," Peter said, grabbing two mugs from a cabinet in the kitchen. "She won't be back for a few hours. It's the only fun she has each week and she'll milk it out for ages."

Fawn's heart clenched as her thoughts drifted to her own mother. It was the first time that the woman had crossed her mind since meeting the young Sirius all those years ago. She felt guilty for not thinking of her, but there wasn't a whole lot to think about.

Fawn's mother had been killed in a car crash when she was only five so there wasn't much the young woman remembered about her. She had always been an exceptionally kind woman and had had a beautiful voice from what Fawn remembered of the late nights of her singing a three year-old Fawn to sleep during a thunderstorm. She had been born in the states but had moved to England for university where she and Fawn's father had met and the rest was History...

"Fawn, are you okay?"

Fawn blinked, remembering where she was again. She wiped her cheek with the back of her hand and was disappointed to find a tear. "Y-yeah I'm fine Pete, sorry. I was just lost in thought."

  Peter nodded, not really believing his friend but knew better than to push. "Want some tea?"

Fawn accepted offer and let the rest of the afternoon be filled with laidback conversation and careful smiles, both skillfully avoiding the war topic as much as possible. That wasn't something to talk about with a dear friend on a quiet sunny spring day and so they didn't.

And as the sun waved goodbye for the day and the moon took the night shift, Peter and Fawn both parted ways with lighter hearts and brighter eyes as they realized not all was grim.