2. Patience Is A Virtue

The carriage pulls to a halt outside the home covered in wisteria as Victoria draws the curtain back, taking a peak to the double doors of her old home. Excitement just about bursts through her, although, she can conceal it while her younger siblings cannot sit still for a second.

"Vic, can we go? Please?" Ada pleaded, tugging at Victoria's sleeve as she looked out of the window, pressing her nose to the glass.

"Patience is a virtue." Victoria replied.

"I never understand anything that you say." Exasperated, Ada sat back down in her seat.

The thing is that, Victoria understood Ada's enthusiastic attitude, for her heart was jumping at the second. For what if she bumped into him on the ton, maybe his sisters, or worse, his brothers. She had not seen him in six years and yet, when she thought of him it was as though she would travel across any mountain to apologise for what she did that last day.
That moment replayed in her mind for so long, the look on his face, her heart in an ache and her head in a whirl. But she did what she had to do for her family, and it made no difference for his perspective.

But why hadn't she gone on with her life? Gotten married, had children, heaven knows she was ready for a family but there was something holding her back, stringing her home to Mayfair, calling her name across the country, something that she simply could not ignore.

Victoria had made absolutely sure that no one would know of her families return, taken every procedure and precaution, and so it was an oddity when the post was delivered the next morning. And her heart no longer fluttered at the chance she may see him again, but it thumped as it landed at the depths of the earth when she read those unworldly words.

"Watch, for you may catch a few unfamiliar faces promenading the ton over the next few morns as a family returns from their - how can I say - extended break. But is their return truly honest? Or will it soon me at the centre of scandal? I predict, it shall not take long to uncover."