13. Society, A Burden To The Soul

' Good day dear readers, I am ready and brimming with the latest canards from the Ton, so listen closely while I tell you what a little birdie told me.
The Ton has been absolutely awestruck by the announcement of this seasons diamond, but might I say, where is her shine?
The jewel has been cooped up in her jewellery box for far too long, we are yet to see her sparkle.
Her reluctance to entertain the Ton makes it clear as day that she may not be fit for the role... might another diamond be in the running?'

Lady Danbury slammed the scandal sheet on the coffee table upon reading it out for Victoria to hear. Her eyebrows raised, waiting for a reaction of sorts from Victoria. Victoria was dumbfounded by her inclusion in Lady Whistledown, it seemed as though the role as diamond was too big for her, the boots too vast to fill.
Victoria was aware that the beady eyes of the Ton were on her, along with Whistledown's like a hawk. There was an overwhelming feeling that she may be doing better if her mother was there to champion her on.

"You will be trampled under the weight of society if you do not step up to it, you are aware of that, are you not? Miss Knight?" Lady Danbury shook her cane against the wooden floor as she reprimanded Victoria.

"I can only express my apologies, Lady Danbury, I was dubious about this position but I am eager to change my ways." Victoria's throat tightened as she thought of all of the eyes that may lay upon her, ready and waiting, watching her every move and mistake.

Lady Danbury paused for a moment, tightening her mouth as though to chew on the words she was about to say. "You do have a chance to make amends for your a-sociality."
Victoria's head tilted at these words, her ears pricking up like a dogs to a whistle.
"I will host a ball at the Danbury house tomorrow, and you will seize this opportunity. This is very important, for the reason that I have received a personal message from the Queen." Lady Danbury paused, as if for effect and Victoria's heart thrummed throughout her body at the mention of the Queen. There was absolutely no way out of this situation now, she had to commit, and that scared her the most.

"The Queen?" Victoria asked, placing her cup and saucer of tea onto the table with a clatter.

"Why yes, her Majesty has asked you to prove that her selection of the diamond is true. There is nothing her Royal Highness dislikes more than to be wrong." Lady Danbury took a long sip of her tea, allowing the idea of the Queen's eye upon Victoria along with everyone else's to sink in.
Victoria nodded along as Lady Danbury expressed the need for tomorrow's ball to a greater extent, before the trays of tea were taken away along with the cakes. Victoria expressed her gratitude before bidding goodbye and stepping outside into the cold air of the evening.

The rest of that day passed in a whirl of preparation for the ball, she had Madame Delacroix deliver two new gowns in the late night for a few extra shillings. Victoria avoided her sister like the scarlet fever, acting the cold shoulder at any given chance.
There was no notion within her at all to resolve this conflict, she would allow it to brew until one of them would concede.
And she was adamant that it would not be her.