9. Treacherous

When he finally finished tying her apron, it was like she could finally breathe again.
Benedict stepped away abruptly, as though he had broken his tether with her that was just beginning to reform.

"Why is it that you have come here?" Victoria asked.

"There is an art gallery tomorrow, at Stafford House, and I was wondering," he paused, took a few paces and moved to stand next to Victoria and tilted his head to the side to look at her. "if you would do me the honour of accompanying me?" He asked in his oh so hopeful tone.
Victoria couldn't hide her smile, so she turned to him and squinted her eyes as if to search for his intentions.

"I suppose I can check my schedule for tomorrow, but I believe I am free." She said, lifting one eyebrow and swaying a little too gleefully. She caught herself and turned back to her painting, it were as if he was an ocean and she had just sunk into his treacherous waters.

"I will call for you tomorrow at noon, just as I have today." He smiled.

She knew that he felt triumphant, and she supposed she could give up on her act of loathing him because they both knew that this was not a hateful relationship, not matter how much they made it out to be so. Victoria had missed his presence, his sarcasm and gentile aura and she was glad that he would offer her such an opportunity after her hurtful behaviour.

"I hope that your intentions with my sister are true." Sounded a voice from the door, where Iris stood tall with her arms crossed defensively, holding a sheet of paper in hand. "For this may prove otherwise." She handed the paper to Victoria, whose brows were furrowed in utter confusion.

"Why are you back so soon sister? I thought that..."

"Just, read it." She eyed up Benedict who looked almost offended at her assumption.

Victoria's eyes glossed over as she read the printed words upon the paper, curtesy of none other than Lady Whistledown.

"It is clear that the Ton has taken to a certain blonde-haired newcomer, although, is she really new?
After her families so called 'extended leave', Victoria Knight returns to Ton to be announced this seasons diamond!
Her beauty should not be disputed, however, her mixture of suitors is rather... to put it plainly... bleak."

Victoria looked back up at Iris who cocked her head, signalling to just keep reading.

"It is entirely important to note that one certain suitor remained to see her off after the debutante yesterday morn, one certain second born Bridgerton.
In my own opinion, I would have thought this was too soon for an easygoing young man like him, for he has seemingly ended his fling only days ago with a poet spinster, whom with he partied senselessly.
I think I do not stand alone in the thought that the diamond of the season deserves better.
Be careful, dear readers, for my eyes are everywhere."

To have a love affair with a spinster in Ton was practically unheard of, and Victoria was wounded to think she may be nothing but a rebound to Benedict.

"You have fooled me, yet I must still be so truly the imprudent one." Victoria pushed the latest edition of Whistledown into Benedict's chest. "You speak as if you do not know me." She stated, recounting that night where he followed her into the garden. "Maybe I do not."

Benedict looked dumbfounded as Victoria untied her apron with force as she walked out of the art studio, tears filling her eyes.
That paper described her only as a beautiful fool, and she was saddened to know that Whistledown had understood her as nothing more.
Victoria raced to her room and procured a piece of paper and a quill and began to write as quickly as she could upon it, folded it once done an sealed it with her family crest in wax.

"Frances?" Victoria called as she walked out of her room, letter in hand.

Frances hastened toward Victoria from the room down the hall, meeting Victoria on the stone slab stairs.
"What can I do for you, Miss?" Frances asked.

"Please deliver this to William Maywood as quickly as possible, I believe carriage to the east of Ton will get you to his families estate swiftly."
Victoria ordered.

"Of course, Miss." Frances said."

"Thank you, Frances. And may you please see Mr Bridgerton out."

But when Frances reached the door to leave their house on her quest to deliver the message, the young Bridgerton was no where to be seen.
When she asked Iris, she simply stated that he had taken his own leave, seemingly vexed, without bidding anyone goodbye.