Vol.1. Chapter 1.3: Lunch date

[A/N This is a pretty tame chapter, but it's necessary to progress the story]

-

[Kiyotaka POV]

[Location- Class D]

''This school is far too lenient on its students, it's honestly pathetic.'' 

Horikita stared at the whiteboard while Hoshinomiya sensei continued to write math formulas with a black marker. The class, on the other hand, was divided into those who were paying attention and those who preferred to rather chitchat or sleep.

''Uh-huh,'' I muttered, clearly not paying attention to the class as well. I was scribbling in my notepad with colorful sharpies, drawing doodles. Most were inanimate objects, such as a coffee cup with two cartoon eyes, while others resembled chibi-style portraits of everyone in the class, including one of Horikita.

''What the hell are you doing?'' Horikita glared at my artwork.

"I mean, it's not like taking notes in class is compulsory; I'm simply passing the time." I shrugged my shoulders.

I didn't fail to notice Horikita's eyes twitching at my response. ''This has to be a joke. How are you the top student, when you have an attitude like that.''

My sharpie stopped coloring the eyes of Chibi Horikita. I sighed as I remembered what happened exactly an hour ago.

-

-

[Flashback: 1 hour ago]

[Location: Class D]

Chabashira-sensei was explaining Japanese history, starting from the endo period. I yawned to escape my drowsiness. Class lessons are such a complete waste of time for me.

Suddenly there were two knocks at the entrance before a man slid the door open and gracefully walked in. He had a kind smile on his face. The unknown man stood behind the podium, while Chabishira sensei respectively stepped aside. He must be her superior.

''Goodmorning children, I am Mr. Sakayanagi, the chairman of this fine school. 

Mr. Sakayanagi appeared to be a man in his forties. I couldn't help but see his eyes gleaming with pride. He must be really passionate about his work. The man swept the room until his gaze was drawn to me, and for some reason, I had the impression he knew who I was.

''Now, normally I never take part or make speeches to a specific class, however, today marks history for this school, and I had to come here to acknowledge it myself.''

"We the higher-ups of Advanced Nurturing High School would like to congratulate Kiyotaka Ayanokouji of class 1-D for being the top scorer of the entrance examinations in our respected school's history. With perfect scores of 100 in every subject. This is a genuinely fantastic accomplishment that has been achieved. Let us applaud him for what he has pulled off."

The chairman announced while clapping his hands.

And so my tranquil period of sketching doddles was disrupted. Other people were clapping and searching around to see who the student named Ayanokouji Kiyotaka was. I also noticed people I was acquainted with, staring at me with astonished expressions, and some with respect and admiration.