Vol.1. Chapter 2.1: A game of cards with your stalker

[Matsushita POV]

[Location: Class-D]

''Good morning Ayanokouji,'' Kushida called out to the boy who just walked in.

''G-Good morning... Ayanokouji,'' Another girl called out, followed by some more.

''Morning ladies, hope you all had a good night's sleep. I would hate to see avoidable dark circles ruin your beautiful faces,'' Ayanokouji waved back as he made his way to his desk.

He's been the talk of the class for a week since the entrance ceremony. I'm sure every one of us panicked when he revealed the truth about this school to the class. The Advanced Nurturing High School, a gorgeous utopia, literally had our futures in its grip.

And it's scary to think no one would've known without him.

''Sudo a certain bird told me about your endeavors. Apparently, no first-year student is ever chosen to play on the main team this soon. Yet you managed to do it in the first month, no doubt. Very impressive,'' Ayanokouji exclaimed, raising his hand in a high five. The red haired guy gave a cocky smile and returned his high five.

As someone born into a wealthy household, all I had to do was honor my parent's efforts by excelling academically. In that aspect, there was mutual respect for our abilities, and my loving parents raised me in an environment with no constraints on my independence.

Ultimately, I've imagined a variety of possible scenarios for myself. Working as a flight attendant for a major airline or airport, or even marrying a financially successful man, would've been ideal.

Yet, when I started at this school, I was able to set far larger goals for myself. It would be fantastic if I could study at a top-notch university in another country. After that, a plethora of opportunities would present themselves to me. Everything would pretty simple after that.

Sure, I expected some struggles to come my way, but, obstacles are inevitable. Still, I never imagined I would be assigned to Class D, which was actually a class for the so-called "defects".

Ayanokouji finally went to his desk. He sat at his table, his gaze fixed on Horikita. Normally, everyone would see this behavior as delinquent, but Ayanokouji appears to have unique privileges because everyone likes him.

The emphasis is on 'everyone,' because Horikita appears to be ignoring him as she casually reads her book. Of course, Ayanokouji was unfazed and continued to converse with her. Everyone started muttering about how kind Ayanokouji is for trying so hard to talk to Horikita cause no one else in the class would.

However judging by his cold eyes, it's nowhere near that. If I had to guess, he's doing it cause it annoys her. He always seems amused every time Horikita glares at him. I wonder if he's an M.

I tried reading his lips from a distance to figure out what he was saying, but I couldn't.

I've been observing him for a while. Most people would definitely label my activity as borderline stalking, but I disagree. It is not considered animal cruelty when a scientist dissects an animal in the name of science. I am quite similar to that scientist.

I am observing him so I can understand him.

Ayanokouji paused talking for a little moment before swiftly turning his head in my direction, as if he sensed my gaze. My heart rate increased, but I made a conscious effort not to look away, as doing so would make me appear more suspicious. So I held his gaze and smiled at him, but he obviously didn't return my smile.

Ayanokouji went back to talking with Horikita.

-

-