11

Tony walked back into the compound and up the elevator. By this time, it was 10:30pm and was pitch black outside.

He walked into the main room to find Nat and Bruce asleep on the couch. Peter was sat on the floor in front of them, watching the tv.

He laughed to himself and Peter looked up, smiling when he saw Tony. He stood up from the floor and paused the movie.

"Hey, kid. Did you have fun today?" Tony asked as he set his coat down. Peter nodded and looked at Bruce and Nat.

"Aren't you tired? It's late for you. You usually tap out at around 10." Tony asks. Peter shrugs and then points at the man.

"You were...waiting for me?" Tony asked, unsure if that was actually true, but Peter nodded. Tony smiled.

"You don't have to do that, kid." He said. "Come on, let's leave these couch potatoes." The man lead Peter to his room. Every time he looked at the boy, all he could think about was the torture they put him through. It broke his heart.

Peter got changed for bed in the bathroom in his room. Tony was waiting for him so he could say goodnight to him.

Peter walked out and plopped on his bed, Tony smiled and sat on the edge. Peter grabbed a pen and started writing on the paper next to him.

'Did you get your work done?"

"Most of it. I think I'll have the hardest part figured out in 2 days though." Tony said and gave him a sad smile. He couldn't tell him the real reason why he was away. It would only upset him.

"I'll be home tomorrow though. You won't have to spend the day with those fun sponges again." Tony said. Peter laughed and Tony swore it was the most beautiful thing he ever heard. Peter started writing again.

'They're not that bad'

"I disagree." Tony smiled. "Now go to sleep." He said as he stood up and turned off the lamp. Peter pulled the covers over his head and closed his eyes.

--------------------------------------

"Peter! Your Aunt May and Uncle Ben are here!" Peter's mother called him. The 6 year old boy came rushing down the stairs to see them.

"Merry Christmas Pete!" Ben exclaimed when he saw the boy. Peter smiled and hugged him before hugging May.

"Your mom was just saying how she got you a new bike for Christmas!" May said with a smile.

"Yeah! It's in the garage and it's red and blue!" Peter said, his face started to hurt from smiling so much. Christmas was his favorite.

"We got you a few things too, Pete." Ben said and showed him a bag he was holding behind his back. It was full of wrapped presents.

"Thank you!" Peter said as he took the bag and ran off to the living room with them. The adults laughed.

Peter sat on the floor, waiting for the adults to follow him into the room. They were taking a long time, and Peter was starting to grow confused.

He waited a few minutes.

A few more minutes.

They still didn't walk in the room.

Peter stood up and walked back to the front door to see what was taking them so long.

The first thing he noticed was red paint, splattered on the wall. That wasn't there before, was it?

"Mom? Dad?" He called out as he turned the corner. That's when he realized, it wasn't paint. It wasn't paint at all.

It was blood.