Chapter 1

December 7th, 2042
New York City, Manhattan

The United States of America. A shining beacon in the darkness of an uncertain world where tyranny and oppression have an iron grasp. The strongest and brightest bastion of freedom and democracy that still stands.

Despite current tensions with it's over seas rivals across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, the United States stands strong and ready for a day they best hope never comes.

While fear of the communists and fascists still exists, the people of the United States have learned to live with the threat being a possibility. The world was in a fragile peace, and all it would take is a ball rolling to shatter it all. However that didn't stop the people of the United States from living their lives as normally.

With this fragile peace, the United States has developed into a technological and infrastructural power house in rivalry with Nazi Germany. Standing as the dominant world power, the US has dedicating it's efforts both politically and militarily to keep the Axis and Communists in check and preventing another world war.

Overall, the American population was happy. Happy that there was no war to worry about, and happy everything occurred as normal for them.

Alex Mason, age twenty eight, height of six feat and three inches, white skin, black hair, and blue eye irises. Born in 2014 in Frankfort Kentucky, he had a troublesome teenagehood, getting into several confrontations with law enforcement and barely passing high school with all 'C's and 'D's. At age nineteen, he enlisted into the Marine Corps to become disciplined and serve his country as his grandfather did before him. He joined in the USMC Officer School, and now currently holds the rank of Second Lieutenant.

The Marine was on a subway train headed for Time Square where his hotel he booked for his military leave was.

Meanwhile as the train progressed through the tunnel, he continued watching news and global updates on his smart phone. On the small screen, a lady was speaking while addressing to images displayed on a larger screen behind her.

"...reports of increased activity of Italian fleets along the southwest coast of Africa, US defense officials have responded with setting Atlantic fleets on standby and at max readiness."

"God damn Italians." Mason said to himself as the subway train swayed from side to side down the railings. The Italians had been a recent hot topic this year, following reports of military mobilization and fleets dispatched around Africa. If anyone guessed, they would assume that Italy was planning an invasion of the African continent.

"Attention, the train is now stopping at Time Sq - 42 St. When disembarking, please grab all your belongings and mind that gap when exiting the train."

The female automated voice announced the stop of the train as Mason felt it ease up before coming to a dead stop. Looking up, the automated doors opened as he and several other passengers disembarked before new passengers boarded onto the train.

He navigated through the crowds in the station and arrived at the escalator to take him to the second level from the surface. However a notification on his phone distracted him as he pulled up his device and looked at it.

Mom — Did you make it to New York yet?

"Goddamnit." He cursed himself as he forgot to update his mother on his whereabouts. Despite being an adult with military training, his mother was still protective of him like when he was a little boy. He began typing a response.

Just landed. On way to the hotel. Call you later.

Sending the text, he discarded his phone into his pocket and made it up the escalator and into the lower level under the surface filled with advertisement posters and shops built into the walls. Some were on the same level as convenient stores found at gas stations while others were selling entire prepared meals in containers and boxes. One even was selling cheap toys that would entertain children for about a month at most. What was most notable were the posters containing advertisements for the United States Armed Forces, and propaganda against communism and fascism.