Chapter 15

February 12th, 2043
Falmart, Alnus Hill/Base

"We're coming up on the base now boss."

"Good. Finally we can get ourselves some R&R once we get these refugees settled into the new camp."

"A'man to that sir. Wait...we do have a refugee camp at base? Right?"

"We should. I requested it to HQ to set up a site for refugees. If not...I'ma be mad as hell."

The convoy of 5th Marine Recon and tanks of 1st Army had returned to Alnus Base, passing through several armed patrol convoys and small checkpoints surrounding the perimeter of the US occupied territory. The soldiers and marines standing guard waved them as they passed by.

Since their departure and fight against the flame dragon, the base has since shown signs of further development. Several new defensive lines including sand bags and small trenches with automated sentries were set up around the perimeter, as well as several defensive positions with Phalanx CRAM batteries set up and SAM sites. Some areas were still under development as excavators terraformed the terrain and trucks brought in a steady stream of materials and prefabricated fortifications.

"Hey boss, should we wake up our passengers?" Mason looked back where Sergeant Warner was sitting with the sleeping elves and human children. The only other person not asleep appeared to be this Rory Mercury demigod child, or whatever she was to this world's inhabitants.

"Yeah sure, why not?"

The female marine shook the shoulders of the elves and children aboard who were in a deep sleep, getting much needed rest after the events that unfolded not too long ago. "Hey, you all sleep well?" Mason called out as Snow started moving on his lap and let off a yawn. "Hope you aren't too tired now, we're just about to arrive at our base. We'll shelter you until you can figure things out for yourselves."

The eastern gates of the base walls opened up as the MRAP approached, followed by the rest of the convoy and tanks heading for the motor pool.

"This is their fortress?" Lelei looked out from one of the L-ATVs as they passed through the thick steel armored doors.

"I must admit, the architecture and engineering is impressive." Cato commented as he looked out beside Lelei. "If these people are at war with the Empire, and this what they're capable of, then I must say his majesty hasn't stepped on the tail of a gryphon. He stepped on a dragon's tail."

The vehicles pulled within the safety of the reinforced concrete walls and pulled aside near the entrance of the motor pool. "Alright, I'm heading to the HQ to check in with intelligence. Debrief and figure out where we put our guests." Mason said as he lifted Snow off his lap and set her in the middle of front seats. "Stay here and keep watch on everyone, hopefully this shouldn't take too long."

"Aye sir." Stewart responded as he settled back into his driver's seat as the lieutenant wandered off from the convoy. Snow jumped back into the passenger seat and stood up against the window, looking out at Mason before he left her line of sight.

"Hey don't worry little guy." Stewart said as Snow whimpered watching her human guardian leave her proximity. "He'll be right back. Just you watch."

Some of the others began stepping out from their vehicles to get a better look at the fortress they were currently in. "So, this where the Men in Green live?" One of the village children asked as they looked around at the various prefabricated buildings surrounding them. "It looks so much more...cleaner, than anyplace I've seen before."

"They have a lot of those horseless wagons and steel elephants."

"What are we even doing here? Are they going to show where we're staying?"