Chapter 4

Brenden

I couldn't believe Max's plan actually worked. I was so shocked that I let my mate leave with her Alpha.

As soon as I pulled it together though, I followed the pair of them. My mate's flowery scent was lingering in the air and I followed it to one of the servant corridors.

"You will reject him or-"

"Or what?" I snapped.

How dare he tell my mate to reject me. She's mine!

I stepped into the light and Alpha Dustin swept into a low bow. My little mate looked horrified however.

"I'm so sorry Your Majesty. This isn't what it looks like. I was telling her about the mating process and how you can either complete the process or reject the bond."

"She will do no such thing."

"Of course not Your Majesty, I was just explaining."

I could smell the fear on this Alpha as he tried to get himself out of the whole he'd dug himself into. I wanted to rip his throat out, but I couldn't. Even the King had rules to follow.

"Get out!" I shouted.

It was the best I could do for now. Alpha Dustin ran from the corridor with his tail tucked between his legs.

I turned to my mate and took her in for the first time. She had long golden blonde hair and the brightest green eyes I'd ever seen. She was absolutely stunning.

I motioned for my mate to follow me and she did. The ball was over now. I found my mate and I wanted to get to know her. We'd enjoy the ball together next year.

I pulled a guard aside and told him to end the ball. Then I went back to my mate and led her to our suite. She took a seat on the couch and I stepped out of the room after promising to return soon.

I just needed a minute. I still couldn't quite believe that I'd actually found my mate. And Goddess, she's perfect. I can't wait to love her and cherish her and give her the best life possible. My mate, my Queen.

After collecting myself, I went back out to the living room where I left my mate. She was still sitting on my couch in that stunning ballgown of hers when I walked up to her.

My mate didn't even seem to notice me approach. As I got closer, I noticed her heavy breathing and her shaky hands.

"Are you ok?" I asked her.

My mate didn't respond so I reached out to cup her cheek in my hand, but she flinched away. Was she scared of me? My wolf growled at the idea and my mate's eyes doubled in size.

Then, before I knew it, she was off the couch and in the bathroom. I ran after her, but she'd locked the door.

She ran from me. My mate ran from me.

My wolf was begging to take over, but I held him back. Barely. I didn't want to scare her more.

I pounded and pounded on the door, but when my mate didn't respond I started getting worried.

____________________________________

Emory

Oh Goddess. I made him angry. I didn't mean to, I really didn't. I tried not to flinch, but it was a habit I couldn't control. And now he's mad at me.

I escaped to the bathroom and locked the door before sinking to the ground on the back wall. I could hear King Brenden pounding on the door, but I couldn't get myself to open it.

He's going to kill me.

Tears started rolling down my cheeks and the air was pulled from my lungs. I don't want to die. I don't want to live, but I don't want to die. I'm not ready.

Suddenly, the door shattered, sending wood flying everywhere and King Brenden's massive body stepped into the bathroom.

I shrieked and cowered back in the corner, but that didn't stop him from approaching me. The King got closer and I saw that his eyes had darkened to an inky black. His wolf was taking over.

Instinct took over when King Brenden reached out and I shielded my face with my arm.

"Please don't hurt me," I whimpered, even though I knew it wouldn't help. If anything, it would just make him laugh.

I waited and waited for the blow to come, but he never delivered.

"Why would you think I'd hurt you?"

I glanced up from behind my arm to see The King's eyes were back to their normal blue. He looked down at me in confusion and I looked back up at him the same. He almost looked...hurt.

"Um, I don't know," I whispered, lowering my gaze back to the floor.

"What's your name little mate?"

"E-Emory," I stuttered.

King Brenden knelt down in front of me. "Has someone been hurting you Emory?"

My eyes widened and I shook my head violently. I still was confused about why the King wasn't hitting me, but I knew he couldn't find out about Alpha Dustin. He'd send me right back and I was better off being dead than going back there.

"You can tell me Emory, I won't let anyone hurt you."

His voice sounded sincere, but I didn't know what to believe. I didn't know why he was acting nice all of a sudden and I didn't understand what was happening. My heart was telling me to trust him, but my brain said I couldn't.

"N-no one's h-hurting me."

I sounded weak and I hated it, but it's what I was. Weak.

King Brenden didn't seem totally convinced, but he nodded.

"Let's go to bed."

He offered me his hand and I took it, scared of what the punishment might be for refusing. King Brenden handed me a t shirt and a pair of pajama pants.

"These are my sister's, but we will get you your own clothes tomorrow."

I nodded and took the clothes. Did that mean he wasn't going to reject me?

I decided to worry about that in the morning and changed into the clothes King Brenden gave me.

I then followed his scent to the bedroom where he told me to meet him. He was already in bed and motioned for me to get in.

I didn't like the idea of sleeping in his bed with him, I knew what could happen, but I didn't want to anger him. I climbed in bed and waited until I heard King Brenden's breathing deepen before climbing back out. I curled up in a corner of the room and fell asleep. I'd just have to be sure to get back in bed before the king wakes up tomorrow.