Chapter 14

Brenden

As much as I wanted to stay in bed with Emory all day, I had to get some work done. But I didn't want to leave my mate so there was really only one solution...bring her with me.

So here we were in my office; me trying to focus on work and Emory all curled up on the couch with a book. It took everything in me to look back at my computer screen and not her.

Alpha

It was Max

One of the guards caught a rogue

Have him meet me in the throne room. With the rogue.

It seemed that my day was about to get more interesting.

I explained the situation to Emory and she agreed to come with me to the throne room. We walked hand in hand to the throne room and I showed Emory her throne. She smiled up at me before taking her spot and Goddess did she look beautiful up there. I sat next to her in my throne and waited for the rogue to be brought in.

The doors to the throne room opened and a guard came in dragging a young boy by the arm. He was the rogue? He couldn't have been older than four.

The boy was shoved to the ground and the fiercest growl I ever heard came from Emory.

"You do not touch a pup like that," she spat at the guard.

My mate stood from her throne and scooped up the young boy who was now sobbing in her arms.

"Touch a pup like that again and you're dead," I growled at the guard. "And you are dismissed from your position."

The guard paled and left the throne room almost as quickly as he came. I went over to my mate and the pup who was asleep in her arms.

The poor pup was covered in dirt and bruises. I wonder how long he'd been on his own. Where was his mother?

My thoughts were interrupted by my mate's angelic voice. "What do we do with him?"

Her eyes held concern for the pup and it was clear her wolf had formed an attachment to him.

"We clean him up, let him sleep, and talk to him. See why he's all alone."

Emory nodded as she looked down at the pup. He was thin. He clearly hadn't eaten in a while. He reminded me of Emory when she first came here. What was he doing on the castle grounds?

I went back to my office to talk to Max and Emory took the pup upstairs to rest.

"Are you sure there's no other rogues out there?" I asked my Beta.

"None. Not even a sniff of rogue other than the pup's."

So if he did have a mother, she wasn't nearby.

I put my head in my hands and sighed. Poor kid. I wonder what happened to him.

___________________________________

Emory

My wolf wanted to rip that guard apart the way he touched this pup. How dare he ever harm a child like that? Rogue or not, he was just a scared little pup all on his own.

I promised myself I'd take care of him until we found his mother. My wolf whined at the idea, but he wasn't my child to keep. He probably had a mother out there who was worried sick about him.

I smoothed over the pup's hair as I watched him sleep. One of the servants had found some children's pajamas that I changed him into, a bath would have to wait until he woke up. At least he wasn't in those old rags anymore.

There was something about the pup that smelled familiar to me, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was. There was just a hint of familiarity under the stench of rogues.

I watched over the pup as he slept and didn't leave his side for even a moment. I didn't want him to be scared when he woke up in a strange place so I stayed with him.

After a few hours of not waking, I sent for the doctor. He assured me that the pup was ok, just malnourished and exhausted. I sighed a breath of relief and took my seat next to the pup's bed once again.

"Still not awake?"

I turned to see Brenden standing in the doorway. I shook my head.

"There was no sign of any other rogues in the area. I have no clue where he came from."

"Poor baby," I sighed.

Brenden sat down next to me and held my free hand in his.

"Yeah."