Chapter 10

Emory

I had the best sleep of my life last night, wrapped in the arms of my mate. I didn't have a single nightmare and being with Brenden made me feel safe.

"What do you want to do today?" Brenden asked me.

He was taking the day off to spend time with me and I was really excited. I felt like all of this weight had been lifted off of my shoulders after our talk last night.

"I don't know."

"Well," he started, "we could talk, watch a movie, go out if you want, go for a run-."

I gasped at that. "Am I allowed to?"

Alpha Dustin banned me from shifting and I had hardly been in contact with my wolf these past years.

"Run?" Brenden asked confused. "Of course."

I perked right up. My legs had been longing to run for years now. I used to love it more than anything. My paws racing through the forest, the wind blowing through my fur, everything.

"Ok. I'll go make us some breakfast and then we can go."

"Are you sure? I can make breakfast."

He's the King, he shouldn't have to cook.

"Nonsense. You get ready and I'll see you downstairs."

Brenden gave me a quick kiss on my forehead and went downstairs. I skipped my shower since I was going to get all sweaty anyways and threw on some exercise clothes.

I got ready as quick as I could and flew down the stairs into the kitchen where breakfast was waiting.

"That was quick," Brenden chuckled.

He carried our plates over to the table and I sat down with him. He made eggs, bacon, and pancakes. I would never be able to eat all of this. I was used to one meal a day if any; this was extreme.

Brenden dug in, but I just sat there and stared. There was so much food.

"What's wrong?" Brenden asked when he noticed I hadn't started.

"There's so much food. I can never eat all of this!"

"Just eat what you can. I know you're not used to eating a lot," his eyes darkened at the thought of Alpha Dustin, "but you've got to start gaining some weight. I want you to be healthy."

I was shocked that Brenden cared so much about my well being, but after last night I really shouldn't have been. Even angry, all he did was care.

I did what Brenden said and ate as much food as I could. I ate one pancake, half of the eggs, and two pieces of bacon. It wasn't even half of the food on the plate, but Brenden didn't say anything, he just cleared our plates and took my hand to lead me outside.

I hadn't been outside in years other than the day of the ball and that was only for a few minutes. Now I was going to get to shift. And run.

Brenden walked me to a nearby tree and left me to shift in private. I was grateful for that; not only because I would be naked, but also because I haven't shifted in years. Werewolves are supposed to shift regularly and it's actually pretty unhealthy not to so I just hoped this went ok.

I quickly stripped and let my wolf finally come to the front of my mind again. She was excited to run and play with her mate. The shift hurt after so long, but after a minute or so I was ok.

I walked in the direction Brenden had gone off in and found a big, black wolf with a crescent moon on its forehead. I'd never seen a wolf so big, even Alpha Dustin was smaller. I felt like a midget in comparison. My blonde wolf wasn't small, but we didn't even come close to Brenden's wolf.

My wolf walked over to Brenden's and the two took the time to sniff each other before Brenden took off in a run.  My wolf yipped and ran after him. It felt so good being back out here again and the fact that my mate was with me made it all the better.

Brenden led me to a nearby creek where our wolves splashed around and played together. I was having the time of my life and it looked like Brenden was too.

After a while, I started getting tired and I think Brenden sensed that because he trotted over and laid down. I curled up next to him and we took a nap together just like that.

When I woke up, Brenden's wolf was licking my wolf's fur and she absolutely loved it. She was practically purring.

Brenden noticed I was awake and stood up. We walked together back to the tree where I left my clothes. He trotted away to give me privacy and I shifted back into my human form.

Once I was dressed, I met Brenden back in the same place and he held his hand out to me. I gladly took it and we walked back to the pack house together.

"That was amazing," I breathed out.

"I'm glad you liked it. We can go whenever you want."

"Really?" I asked.

Brenden nodded and I squealed like a school girl. He just laughed and wrapped his arm around me. I didn't mind his touch anymore, in fact, I liked it a lot.

I finally accepted the fact that Brenden is my mate and it helped me move past my fears.

By the time we got home, the sun was already setting so Brenden and I settled in on the couch to watch a movie.

"What do you want to watch?" He asked.

"I don't know."

My mate chuckled and picked out a movie he thought I'd like.

"We have so much to introduce to you," he said and gave me a kiss on my head.