Chapter 6

Emory

I was bored after the girls left so I decided I would make dinner for Brenden. He was still working and I'm sure he'd be starving when he got back. And Alpha Dustin always expected dinner to be ready when he got back so I'm assuming Brenden is the same.

I'm still confused as to why I'm still here. It's been a whole day and Brenden still hasn't rejected me. At least he hasn't hit me. He's never even tried. Maybe he'll let me stay as a servant after he rejects me. It will hurt to see him with someone else, but it would be better than going back to Blood Stone. Right?

I made my steak and mashed potatoes that Alpha Dustin always loved. I wanted to show my best so Brenden would consider letting me stay.

The food was all plated and I set it on the table for Brenden so he can eat right when he gets back. All I need is a wine glass.

I went back into the kitchen and looked in the cabinets. The wine glasses were pretty high up for my 5'4" frame, but on my tip toes I could reach.

I had just gotten a hold of the wine glass when the door opened and I jumped out of habit. The wine glass fell out of my grasp; I tried to grab it, but it was too late. It shattered on the floor.

No, no, no. I have to fix this. Brenden's going to be so mad. And I don't have any money to pay him back with.

No, no, no.

___________________________________

Brenden

I finally finished my work and was ready to go home. I started walking to my suite when a servant rushed up to me.

"Your Majesty, we tried calming her down, but she's just crying and saying she's sorry."

I didn't know what that meant, but I knew my mate needed me. I thanked the servant quickly and ran as fast as I could to my suite.

Emory was knelt on the ground in broken glass and servants were trying to calm her down. She was crying and repeating "I'm sorry" over and over again.

"Everyone out," I ordered the servants.

Emory didn't seem to hear or notice me through her panic so I knelt down next to her. I gently took her hands and took the glass from her. Her poor hands were all cut up from the shards.

"I'm sorry," she whimpered. "I didn't mean to."

"I know. It's ok."

She looked confused and the tears kept rushing down her face.

"Can I carry you to the bathroom so I can clean you up?" I asked.

She looked hesitant, but nodded and I breathed a sigh of relief. She was letting me touch her.

Emory tensed up in my arms, but by the time we got to the bathroom she had relaxed a little. I set my mate on the counter and pulled out the first aid kit to tend to her cuts. Her hands were all cut up and her feet had a few cuts too. They would be all healed by tomorrow, but I didn't want glass getting trapped in her skin.

"This is going to hurt a little, I'm sorry," I told Emory and once again she gave me a confused look.

I used a pair of tweezers to carefully remove each piece of glass from Emory's skin. I glanced up to check on her and she hadn't so much as winced. She was strong. Still, I was as careful as possible; I didn't want her to hurt.

After the glass was out, I cleaned the cuts and put the first aid kit away.

"Are you ok?" I asked my mate.

"I'm sorry," she said once again. "I promise I didn't mean to. I'll work to pay you back as soon as I can."

"What? No. You don't have to apologize or pay me or anything. It was a mistake, mistakes happen. I can get a new glass. All that matters is that you are ok."

Emory's eyes flashes up to mine. She looked shocked by my statement.

I really need to get some answers from Emory. Someone clearly treated her badly and when I find out who, I'm going to rip them to shreds.