Chapter 20

Brenden

The glass vase smashed upon meeting the wall.

"Where are they?" I growled.

It had been over a week since Emory and Luca disappeared and once again there is no sign of them. I'm going insane. Every room in the suite and my office have been destroyed. The staff have stopped trying to fix things because each time they end up destroyed again. I need my family back.

"We will find them," Max assures me.

He's been telling me the same bullshit since they were taken and it's getting on my nerves.

"How?" I shouted.

I know I shouldn't be taking my anger out on Max, he's just trying to help, but it is taking everything in me to keep my wolf under control. If my anger slips a little, I can't help it.

"I don't know yet, but we will."

I continued pacing through my office as I went over the little information we had in my head. Shauna had tried helping, but it was no use. Dustin wouldn't have gone anywhere Emory knew of for fear of her telling me. If she didn't know, then Shauna likely didn't either.

Alpha

It was one of the guards.

What?

There is a rogue here. She wants to talk to you.

I scoffed. I have more important things to worry about than some rogue.

Tell her I'm busy.

Her sister is Blood Stone's Luna.

I'm coming.

I raced out to the castle gates where two of my guards were holding a young woman.

"Your Majesty," she greeted me, bowing her head.

"Where is my mate?" I growled.

"That's what I came here to tell you," she said calmly. "I have a plan to get her and your son out."

I was skeptical, but I didn't see anything other than truth in her eyes and I was desperate. If worse comes to worse, I'll kill her.

I nodded to the guards and they released her from their hold.

"Come with me."

The rogue followed me to my office. She took a look around, but didn't say anything about the condition of my workspace. I tilted up a chair and offered her a seat.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Mary."

"Did anyone follow you here?"

"No, I made sure of it."

I nodded.

"Well then, what do you know?"

"Everything."

Mary told me everything she knew from the location of Dustin's pack to Emory and Luca's exact location. She gave me so many details it couldn't have been a lie. I made her go over it multiple times just to make sure her story didn't change and it didn't. She was telling the truth.

"So what's your plan?" I asked. She'd mentioned one outside.

"I have friends that can get rid of the dungeon guards. They will slip in and get Emory and Luca while my sister distracts Alpha Dustin."

"And if they get caught before they escape?"

"They will," she said and I gave her a confused look. "They will carry them on their wolves backs to where you and your pack of warriors will be waiting just beyond detection. Assuming Dustin's warriors follow, you will be there to destroy them."

I had to admit, it was a pretty good plan, and it was all we had.

"Where will you be during all of this?" I asked.

She hadn't mentioned herself in all of the plans.

"With you. It's too risky to go back now, but the plan is already in place. All I have to do is send one final mindlink to my sister and we will be set. Then I cut myself off from the pack completely."

Max had also been listening and he gave me a look. We needed to talk.

I left Mary in my office with a few guards to watch over her and went to a nearby room with Max.

"Do you really trust her?" Max asked once we were behind closed doors.

"I do."

"What if it's a trap?"

I'd thought about that too, but the risk was worth the reward.

"What if it's not?"

Max nodded.

"So we're doing this then?"

"Yes."

Max nodded and went to relay the plan to our warriors. We were leaving first thing in the morning, I didn't want my family there any longer than they had to. They'd already been there for too long.

I went back to my office and gave Mary the go ahead to contact her sister. She did and then blocked her mind from Dustin's pack completely.

"Why are you helping us?" I asked her. I've wanted to know since she first showed up.

"I've seen what goes on behind closed doors," she said with a shudder, "and now I'm finally going to do something about it."

The plan was in place. Now all we had to do was execute it perfectly. My family's lives were hanging in the balance. Nothing could go wrong.