10K Special Part 2: A Year Later

The counter in front of us was filled with our baked confections: eclairs filled with original and chocolate custard, a thin glaze that almost shimmered against the overhead lights. Next to them were small tins filled with small Madeleine cakes, ready to be shared with our family and friends.

Finally, we get to make the macarons!

Standing in front of a metal counter, Hia and I were outfitted in aprons and bandanas to prevent us and the food from becoming a mess. The already prepared ingredients were littered in various bowls: sugar, powdered sugar, almond flour, cream of tartar. The vanilla extract, eggs, and butter were still in their respective containers, ready to be used when needed.

Excited, I grabbed Hia's bicep, squeezing it gently a couple times. I heard him laugh as he placed his hand on top of mine, his warmth seeping into the back of my hand.

"Thank you so much Hia! I can't wait to eat them all!"

"You're not gonna save any for me?" He pouted his lips a bit, making his eyes go wide.

Leaning forward, I kissed him lightly on his cheek, moving to his ear to whisper, "Of course..."

"...not." We both threw our heads back, our laughter ringing across the kitchen.

"You two really are the sweetest. How long have you been together?"

A bit embarrassed by the chef's question, I hid my face behind Hia's shoulder, heart beating fast as I felt my ears redden.

Placing his hand on the side of my head, Hia gently soothed me, his fingers gently gliding over my hair. I could hear the smile in his voice as he answered: "We've been an official real couple for a year, but we worked together for almost two years before that. It took me over a year to work up the courage to actually ask him to be mine."

At that I whipped my head towards him, eyes widening at the new information. "Over a year? You liked me for that long?"

Pulling me so that I stood in front of him, his left hand snaked around my waist, settling on the small of my back. His right hand cupped my cheek as he moved his thumb back and forth underneath my eye. Face to face, his gaze wandered around, seemingly taking in all of my expression before he locked his eyes with mine.

"I knew from the moment I saw you that we were destined to be together, even if it was just platonic soulmates. But the real me was confused, even scared, at first. I didn't know if I liked you romantically because I couldn't separate Hia Lian from myself. But even after the series finished, I realized I still wanted to be with you, even if we were just playing with July or shopping or just singing as we drove around. But I wanted to make sure it was real and that I thought through all the consequences first. But I'm glad I did. You're the best thing that ever happened to me. And I'm so proud to be yours, love."

I felt my lips tremble as I spoke, "I love you so much, Hia. Please always stay by my side."

"Forever and always my love...please don't cry! This is supposed to be a light and fun evening Nhu."

Burying my head in his neck, he rubbed my back as I tried to contain myself. Making nonsense noises, Hia continued to try to make me laugh until I stopped and was able to collect myself.

"I'm so sorry Chef Gai. I didn't mean to change the mood so quickly."

"It's quite OK, nong. I understand. You both obviously love each other very much."

Nodding my head, I looked at Hia and gave a small smile, "Yes, I do."

Smiling in return, Hia gave a loving kiss on my forehead and then we turned back to the task at hand.