36

while driving stanley home, richie couldn't stop tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.

"stan, if you're fainting, i don't want you to walk all the way to my house. that's so dangerous, i don't know what's going on with your health, but i can't risk you collapsing on the way there at night." richie said, glancing offhand at stanley.

stanley sighed through his nose, "rich, i'll be fine, it was just a one-time thing," and obviously it wasn't, but richie didn't have to know that. stanley needed to see richie tonight. he couldn't go another day in the stale air in his house.

"no, you don't know that. listen, i'll pick you up tonight and we can do some shitty night time date. so sleep when you get home. okay?" richie shook his head, and stanley stared out the passenger window. he could see the moon out, even though it was daytime.

"really, it'll be fine if i walk, i like the walk," stanley argued, richie 'tsk'ing.

"i don't care, stan, i'm not risking that. i love you." richie said, glancing anywhere but at stanley. the comment made stanley feel a little warmer.

"i love you too." stanley said. he paused, scratching at his fingers. "thank you."

richie pulled over in the normal spot, his truck sputtering before turning off the engine.

"c'mere," richie motioned for stanley to lean across the gearshift. stanley reached across, a hand on richie's face. he kissed him, and richie smiled into the kiss. one kiss turned into several kisses, and two spent a little extra time making out in the front of richie's truck.

finally, stanley broke away, and richie's look at him made him feel like the prettiest thing in the world. he bit his tongue, "what are you smiling at me for?" he asked. richie put a hand through stanley's hair.

"you're just nice to look at. that's all. i'm real lucky to have you."

"how kind."

"well, see you at eight," richie said, unlocking the doors for stanley to get out of the truck. he opened the door but didn't move. stanley moved across the gearshift once more to kiss richie chastely, then grabbing his bag off the passenger seat ground, he got out. he gave richie a cute wave and shut the door, walking down towards his street.

richie watched him walk away for a moment, engulfed in concern and care.

-

"hey there gorgeous," richie said as stanley got into his truck. stanley looked tired, and richie figured he'd woken up less than an hour ago. stanley smiled clumsily at him, leaning over in the darkness to kiss him. richie obliged.

"mm," stanley mumbled, leaning against the seat of the car and closing his eyes. richie admired him for a moment as he turned the key in the ignition.

"so, first thing, let's find a drive-thru so i can get you dinner, 'kay?" richie said, stanley scratching the side of his arm. nervously, he nodded to richie's suggestion. he thought about ben, and his mouth felt dry.

after a couple minutes, richie started driving and they ended up in some fast food restaurant drive-thru. richie looked to stanley, asking what he wanted with his eyes.

"um, i'm not super hungry, just a cup of water and, like, fries, i guess." stanley said, admiring how pretty richie looked lit up by the led sign's lights. richie nodded, a little suspicious.

richie ordered a poutine for stanley instead, hoping it would be more filling. stanley scratched at his nails, anxious. while waiting for the food, richie reached his hand over and took stanley's. his thumb rubbed over stanley's.

their hands disconnected so richie could get the food from the window, passing it to stanley and driving out of the parking lot.

richie started talking as he encouraged stanley to take the poutine out and start eating, "i'm thinking i just park somewhere nice, maybe a view of water, and we just spend the night together. we can sit in the back of the truck and if that gets too hot, we'll come back in here and turn the ac on." he said.

"that sounds really nice," stanley said, pulling the container out of the bag and placing it on his lap. it was quite warm, and it heated up his thighs. he was a little afraid to eat, but he pictured ben eating, and he felt a little better. he took a sip of the water, no longer leaving his throat dry.

slowly, he took out the fork and stared at the container.

this is good for me. i want to get better. you don't want richie to be worried about you, do you?

slowly, he opened the container and started to eat, taking each bite slowly. richie continued to talk, taking cautious glances at stanley every now and then. he wasn't blind. he saw something weird between him and ben earlier that day. he saw how stanley seemed to dread eating.

"richie," stanley said suddenly, richie stopping mid-sentence. he looked over at stanley, first with his eyes, then turning his head. stanley blinked and richie watched led lights sparkle in the reflection of stanley's eyes.

stanley looked like it was painful to speak, but he continued, "i know i don't express this well. i know i don't express it like i should. but you make me feel more loved than anyone ever has. i love you." he didn't look at richie, instead staring at the sign. water pooled in his eyes, making them glossy. he vaguely felt his nose get a bit stuffy.

"i love you too. i'm glad. that's all i've ever wanted." richie had a smile on his face, and he leaned over to kiss stanley on the top of the head. stanley reached a hand out and rested it on richie's chest. he let out a shaky breath.

"i'm going to do the same for you someday, when i'm... when i'm better. because you deserve it. i love you. you do so much for me and you brush it off like it's nothing. fuck, i love you!" stanley bit his lip after speaking, like he'd said too much.

"you do do that for me, stan." richie said, an earnest grin on his face.

stanley shook his head, "no, you don't know how much you do for me. but i'll make it up. i will."