| the first day |

Me and Phoenix rose at the crack of dawn, five o'clock in the morning to reach our class at six.

I was mechanical when it was time to get ready in the morning, everything was in the exact same order.

I got up, brushed my teeth, and got in my jumpsuit.

I fixed my hair, and made sure I looked as presentable as possible.

I made my bed, so our dorm would be prepared for any surprise inspections this week.

Natasha, sorry, Phoenix was really similar in that way too.

By the time we both finished our routines, our room was spotless and we had 15 minutes to spare.

I was already liking her more and more.

"Ready to go?" I asked her, slipping on my boots.

"Ready!"

We walked out of room and locked it behind us. On our way to our class, we talked. I asked her multiple questions, and I learned a lot about her.

Natasha was from Phoenix, Arizona, which is where she got her call sign. She was a double pilot, and hadn't met her Weapons System Officer yet. Phoenix was good at pool, and loved to go on runs in the morning.

I found myself opening up to her more than I had to anyone in years. I talked about how I've been wanting to be a pilot since I could walk, where I've been stationed, and where I've been in the world.

I could always make friends fast, but keeping them? That was a whole other issue for me. Most couldn't deal with my cocky attitude sometimes, or my indifference. It felt nice that I could be myself around Natasha, and open up a little.

The heat was starting to pick up, and I was already sweating, and the sun was just barely peaking over the horizon.

We made it to our classroom, wondering what we'd be doing first.

According to Commander Metcalf, every day we'd have two missions, with classes in between, with the occasional night flight.

I was getting antsy, I just wanted to be in a cockpit already, flying from dawn to dust.

I sat in the very front of the room, playing with my pen, waiting for our instructor to come in, as Phoenix found her WSO, and sat behind me.

I thought I scared everybody off when a familiar soul sat down beside me.

Jake.

"You looked all lonely sitting up here alone." He says, pulling out his F-18 instruction manual.

"Really? Do you just look for me in every room you walk into?"

"Maybe."

I give him a hard glare, until he gives me a real answer.

"Fine, fine. I was the odd man out of my group of friends, and was dared to sit next to the girl I saved yesterday."

I practically snort. "I could've saved myself."

"Let's start over. I'm Hangman." He puts out his hand.

I eye it, and then I slowly shake it.

"Avalanche."

"As in Iceman's daughter? Zoe Kazansky?"

I forgot that I didn't end up giving him my last name the other day. "Yep. Still wanna sit next to me?"

"Of course, sweetheart."

Phoenix laughs behind me, but I keep my focus on Hangman here.

"Call me sweetheart one more time, and I promise you that you'll never fly again by the time I'm through with you."