| the advisor |

"You've been pulled off the mission."

"What?" I ask, wondering if I had been hearing things. With all the crap that had happened in the last month alone, I wouldn't be surprised if hearing damage would be another thing to add to my long list of tragic woes.

Admiral Bates clears his throat, "Even after catching former Lieutenant Michael 'Jinx' Kerner, you've been pulled off the mission." Warlock finished, after he asked me to sit down in his office.

Okay, so I had heard him correctly the first time around.

My eyes turned icy cold, and with as much constraint as I had, my words were still dripping with poison, "Sir, with all due respect—"

He interrupts me, knowing what I'm about to say, "You're a good pilot. In fact, one of the best I've ever seen in my entire career. Better than I ever was. But I can't lose two Kazansky's in a year. I can't do that to your family."

My mother would be heartbroken, but Stephanie on the other hand... she already pretended that I didn't exist, so it wouldn't be a huge problem for her.

I think Hangman would take it the hardest, and Phoenix, and maybe Rooster. In this line of work, we had all lost somebody though.

I stay quiet, clenching my hands until they turn numb from the lack of oxygen. "So why am I here?" I ask, trying to hold back my temper. I am about to explode and it's not going to be pretty.

"I want you as an advisor to the mission."

"What?" I ask, obviously caught off-guard.

Warlock looks at me, "Maverick mentioned that your expertise would still be invaluable to the detachment, and I agree."

"Well, he's not wrong you know." I muttered, not quiet enough because Warlock laughs at my confident statement. My eyes furrow, "To be an advisor, don't you have to be a higher rank than those your advising?"

"Yes, that is the general requirement. You'll be getting a promotion after the mission. It'll be official at the Navy Ball at the end of the year. Lieutenant Commander."

"That has a nice ring to it." I say, savoring the higher rank in my mind.

Lieutenant Commander.

"You start tomorrow. Go rest up." Warlock says, politely asking me to get the heck out of his office.

I give him a nod, and I leave his office, taking an air of silence with me.

As I was getting into my flight suit, I got a call.

Without looking at the contact, I answered it.

"Hey this is Zoe." I said, fumbling with my hair, trying to manage it by braiding two sides into a low bun.

"It's Jake. Do you want a ride to base today?"

I answer immediately, "I would love one. What time?"

"20 minutes?" He asks.

I try not to sound like a lovesick idiot when I answer back, "Sounds perfect."