| the beach |

Parking my car next to the Hard Deck, I was thrilled to be at the beach.

I was a little annoyed that we were taking time away from training, and so close to our mission deadline, but Uncle Maverick had something planned. We wouldn't be doing this unless he had a purpose in mind, no matter how unmethodical it may be.

I opened my car door, and then swung both my legs out, and stood up. I stretched my back for a moment, and then grabbed my bag for the beach.

I wore a white, flowy sundress, mainly because I didn't feel like putting on pants today. I walked down to the sand, grabbing my sandals in my hand, because I despised the feeling of sand in my shoes.

I looked around, satisfied that I was the first person here... or so I thought.

"Zoe!" My head snapped up involuntary, trying to look to who had said my name.

Hangman.

"What are you doing here so early?" I asked him, looking down at my watch. I thought being 15 minutes early would be enough for me to tan and read out of my book before the rest of our class showed up.

"Since you were first to base yesterday, I thought I'd be first today." Jake shrugs, like it was no big deal.

"Really?" I press, dropping my bag into the sand. I stretch and yawn again, I felt spent.

"You okay?" Hangman came over and put his arm across my shoulders.

"Yeah I'm fine." I promised him.

"Are you sure? You look tired." Jake said, looking at me straight in the eyes.

I looked away, because I felt like he would be able to read the emotion straight off my face. "Yeah I just visited my parents last night and I didn't get home until pretty late."

Most of that was the truth. I just left out the part that after I left in tears, I continued to drive around for another hour trying to let it all out. I couldn't sleep either because I was so unnerved.

He kissed the top of my head. "You look gorgeous though."

I tease him by pushing him away. "Someone could see us! But thanks." I said.

Jake looked around. "We're early, we can do whatever we want."

My breath hitched as he got closer, but we got interrupted as a car parked and we separated.

It was Rooster. Cockblocker.

Bradley stepped out of his car, waving to me. "Zoe!" He called out, and I swear I could see his eyes glare harden underneath his aviators. "Hangman."

"Rooster."

"Hey Brad." I said, trying to ease the tension, but I only felt like I made it worse.

Soon enough everyone came, and I found myself standing next to Phoenix, as we tried to figure out what was going on today.

I slipped off my sundress, to reveal black shorts, and a light blue sports bra. I then put on a pair of sunglasses, because it was starting to get bright outside.

Maverick, late as usual, finally jogged up to the beach. I bet he was flirting with Penny.

"You're probably wondering why we're here, instead of back in the classroom. We're going to play dogfight football."

Dogfight football was just playing football, except offense and defense was going on at the same time.

On my team, I was paired up with Phoenix, Rooster, Payback, Harvard, Omaha, and Rooster, while Hangman was in the other team with Coyote, Fanboy, Fritz, Halo, Yale, Bob, and Jinx.

Avalancheजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें