| the course |

"So remind me why I'm doing the simulation all by myself?" I asked Maverick, all strapped into my cockpit, as he stood up on the ladder.

"Because I think you can do it without the distractions. You're too worried about your teammates, I was a bit underwhelmed by your piloting on the first day."

"That's because everyone else had their head so far up their—"

"Woah, woah, language. What would Iceman think?"

"That's why your our instructor. My dad only wanted someone to tattle tell on me to him." I quipped.

"Always, Avalanche. Just show me what you got when you're not going against the world."

I'm always holding the world on my shoulders. If I fail... well I just can't.

"Gotcha. I'll up there in 5."

"Only Phase One of the mission. I'll be on Channel 3, okay?"

"Copy that Mav."

And 5 minutes later, that's where I was. At the mouth of the canyon.

"Avalanche to Maverick, entering point Alpha. Confirm Maverick."

"Maverick to Avalanche. Green Range is confirmed."

"Seeing time to target, 2 minutes and 30 seconds... now."

The timer started the second I passed the entry check point.

I had memorized the course already. I knew the canyon like the back of my hand.

I curved with the canyon, easily gliding through the air.

I made every sharp turn with ease.

Left, right, left.

I didn't have to worry about someone following me, or being trapped behind another pilot. I could do it at my pace. And I was sure I could do it.

I finished the course, without clipping the walls, or breaking the ceiling.

I smiled and asked Uncle Maverick, "What, like it's hard?"

"Avalanche, return to base before you gloat."

"Too late Mav."

I came back and landed, praying my time was under the limit.

"How'd I do?" I asked Maverick, practically running to the mission room.

"You did it 5 seconds faster than Hangman." Maverick says, comparing the times.

"Really?" I asked, completely out of breath.

"He got 2:29.46 and you got 2:24.28."

"A little over 5 seconds." I correct Maverick, making it as accurate as possible.

"What's the difference between this course and the last one. Why did you fail the dogfight and the last simulation?" Maverick asked, to see if I came to the same conclusion as him.

"Because we don't have a team, Maverick. Everyone is flying to save their own butt, and I'm trying to be the glue of a non existent team."

Maverick thinks for a moment.

"I'm cancelling class tomorrow. We're going to the beach instead."

My eyes bugged out of their sockets. "What?"

"You said we don't have a team. We're going to make one."

"Should I tell—"

"Don't tell anybody else. I want it to be a surprise." Maverick says, as I watch the wheels turn in his head.