(Legolas x Reader) Protect and Cherish ~ Part 1

Legolas tries to defend you against the foolishness of his father.
~•~•~•~•~••~•~•~•~•~•~•~••~•~~••~•~~••~~
You stood before the great throne, trying not to let your hands tremble. Something seemed off about the Elven King's demeanour and it seemed to make the air fizz like the rippling waves of heat visible on a hot summers day.

You quickly gave a glance to your left. Legolas didn't look phased from a simple look but you could see the tightness in his jaw as if he too sensed something.

Even after the past 5 years of secret affection for one another, you still felt like you didn't know him sometimes. When faced up against his father, it was as if there was a whole new elf before you, one who lacked confidence and power under the arrogance of a stubborn king.

As captain of the guard, you kept your demeanour professional. Your back was straight, your eyes now forward and your breathing...wait you can't have forgotten to breathe could you? In and out, in and out. Don't be ridiculous (y/n). Convincing yourself that everything felt normal was almost humorous.

"I have been informed that a scouting group was dispatched to tackle the threat from the spiders." Thranduil's voice was low and steady. "What is this meaning of this?"

I should have seen this one coming.

You tried not to be alarmed when the King's gaze went straight to you, completely avoiding Legolas.

Clearing your throat slightly, you kept your eyes level. "More spiders had been spotted even by Elven civilians, your highness. I thought it wise to send out a quick dispatch to ensure the safety of our borders just incase."

"Without informing me first, (y/n)?" No matter how well you had come to know the Elven king as you grew up with his son in Mirkwood, that unfaltering stare and too calm tone still unsettled you. It felt strange to speak to him so formerly sometimes and it felt stranger to be standing by Legolas' side in such a serious conversation with his Father. 

"My Lord I felt it the best option to ensure the spiders did not only not cross our forest but also didn't venture into lands beyond."

"That is not our concern." Thranduil almost snapped.

You felt the presence beside you shuffle. "Father, I believe (y/n) made the right choice. It was better to be safe than sorry. She knows her duty and acted accordingly."

You couldn't mistake the small glance he gave you. You knew it all too well. He was on your side no matter what.

Thranduil rose from his throne and you felt Legolas stiffen. It made you feel slightly sick to think that Legolas would ever feel this uncomfortable around his Father.

Thranduil analysed his son for a moment before turning back to you, raising his head. "And (y/n), tell me, what did you find?"

You resisted the urge to gulp and the other urge to bolt it through the nearest door. "Nothing, my lord." You kept your eyes low. "The forest was clear. This time." You added quietly.

A small hum escapes Thranduil's lips. "So your search proved un-useful? A waste of your time and my guards."

You felt your own jaw clenched then.

"Father you know that the spiders threat is only growing." You felt Legolas come a bit closer beside you as if to make sure you were protected. Not physically as such, just more like you were being supported by another. Trusted by a friend. By more than a friend. Focus.

You felt the air shift when Thranduil's tone ticked from calm to more passionate and...angry. "Legolas I thought I would have taught you better than to approve of useless expeditions. If we want to maintain the glory of this kingdom then we have to preserve our resources for necessary scouts."

Legolas took a step towards the king who was descending the stairs to his throne. "It was necessary Father."

"And did you approve of it?" Thranduil's gaze flickered from you and back to his son. You felt a burning rise and before Legolas could speak you took a step forward.

"Forgive me your majesty but as captain of the guard it is my duty and honour to lead my troops wherever necessary. That is as designated by you. Hardly any resources were used to simply search the woods. I felt it my obligation to protect this kingdom and it's king and heir by ensuring that nothing was a threat. The spiders appearances have been growing in numbers. Would you rather I have not sent my guard out and have come back to the throne room to find you clawing your way out from between of one of those creature's fangs?"

You didn't realise that the room was silent. You had spoken to Thranduil openly before, not necessarily as an equal, but as family. This matter seemed different as if the King's pride was hanging by a thread, something you had always avoiding to threaten. Your morals had however, outreached your judgement. You knew how to protect and defend. But you didn't even need to look at the king to feel his heated gaze. But feeling (confident was too strong a word) proud of your position, you gave him your own hard stare. You knew you were right. You had been trained in battle and strategy since you were an elfling. You felt Legolas looking between the both of you as if he didn't know which one was going to explode first.

Before Thranduil could snap, Legolas spoke. "Father you know (y/n), you know she means only the best for us and the kingdom. I would have supported and do support her decision."

"Then you are a fool." Your heart sank at those words. But it felt like it was about to fall from your being when Thranduil walked towards you his face as if one of his own had stabbed him in the back. His pride was not to be toyed with. "Pack your belongings. You are excused."

The rage that took over your face was unmissable.

"Father no! You cannot do that. How do you expect to run a fair kingdom if you cannot see when your own people are looking out for you!" You could hear Legolas heaving but you still tried to control the rippling anger within.

Thranduil. How could he. He knew how much you cared for his kingdom. For his son. Your affection for Legolas was something you couldn't ever seem to hide from the king.

Somewhere in between the shouts of Legolas and the dry uninspired retorts of his Father, you managed to speak. "Legolas,' you said softly, "it's fine." Your gaze flickered to the king. "I can tell where true loyalty is not appreciated. I hope you find an elf who is more willing to look out for your kingdom than I clearly am."

~•~•~•~••~•~•

Hey long time no see!

I'm so sorry this is dull and boring I had no inspiration but just felt like writing something.

I'm thinking the second part will be short. I haven't updated in a while but I'm still very grateful to you if you are reading this and voting ect I see it all and it means a lot <3

Hope you're all well 🤍