(Thranduil x Reader) The Ones We Lost

(Thranduil looks to you for guidance when Legolas is troubled)
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~

"Flames of war are upon you!" The slice of the blade rung through the Elven halls, the orcs head hanging from Legolas' grip.

Frustrated, he looked at the orc's remains and then to his Father. "Why did you do that?" He dropped the head. "You promised to set him free."

"And I did." The Elven King said, un-phased. "I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders." You watched as his boot crushed the remaining life from the orcs wriggling body, it's movements coming to a halt. It was so, instant.

"There was more the orc could tell us." Legolas interjected, his jaw tense.

Thranduil tilted his head. "There was nothing more he could tell me."

Legolas looked over to you, his gaze unimpressed and agitated. You knew he was hoping that you found his Father just as wreckless as he did.

"We need to be more strategic." Legolas said, glancing back at the orcs lifeless figure, a stain on the elegant Elven floors. "The orcs know what we need to."

"These creatures won't reveal anything but threats and taunts. You should learn that, Legolas." Legolas' jaw clenched harder.

You resisted rolling your eyes.

Legolas glanced your way again. His eyes seemed to miss you a few times. Then, somehow, he found you. His face urged more than words could say.

You looked back to him as Thranduil summoned the guards to move the creature.

"There's no point in trying to dissuade him." You said to your son, motioning to your husband who now turned back towards you both. You knew Thranduil too well. He'd always been stubborn and he ruled with an iron fist cloaked in rich silk and ashen hair.

Thranduil gave you a glance. "These are the things you need to learn if you are to rule one day, Legolas."

Legolas stayed quiet.

"He's managing quite perfectly, I'd say." Thranduil gave you another look. You sighed. "He's right, the orc could have told us more. Maybe being so brash isn't the right course of action."

"The orcs words were worthless and cannot be trusted. What would we do with any information he gave? Would we rely on it and send our troops into a trap?" Thranduil stood before you both, his features un-affected.

You locked eyes for a second before nodding. "Very well."

Legolas' head subtly turned to yours from your left. Not enough for his Father to notice. Disbelief? Betrayal?

You gave him a sympathetic look. "You know I am not one to outwardly agree with your Father without question, Legolas. But I can't disagree he speaks the truth. The orcs can't be trusted. We will learn more searching out our own answers."

Legolas studied you for a second his gaze not seeming to fully find you. It was as if he was looking straight through you. A sadness took over his face before a softness covered his eyes and he turned to his Father and nodded. "All right."

You saw Thranduil look your way before turning to your son. "He won't be the last of his kind we face I can assure you of that."

Legolas nodded before leaving the throne room, somewhat satisfied. You watched him leave, walking across the bridge of the throne room, still unable to comprehend how much he had grown. How strong and courageous he had become.

"He always trusts in your word." You turned to see Thranduil still standing before you. So entranced in your own thoughts you had almost forgotten he was there. You didn't even realise he had fully noticed you.

"That's because I understand his intentions. He just wanted to make sure he had whatever answers he could get." You said with raised brows. "Maybe instead of dismissing him, you could, I don't know, work with him."

Thranduil sighed. "I understand his intentions, (Y/n). I just don't want him to be deceived into believing the potential lies of an orc or any enemy for that matter. He needs to be careful what he believes and who he trusts."

You gave a small smile but your brows creased. "Then tell him that before you decide to go and lob off another orc's head." You felt your body shiver. A coldness. "You're not just his King, Thranduil, your his Father. And that comes before anything else."

He gazed at you for a moment as if not fully seeing you, and then nodded. He took a step closer and you felt something in the room shift. But, you ignored it.

"I'm sorry, you're right." He said softly.

A soft smile took hold of your lips again. "He's grown so much. He looks just like you."

"He has your courage." He said, gazing down at you.

A grin took over. "And was that a hint of your stubbornness I just witnessed?" Thranduil chuckled softly.

He stood closely now, staring both at and through you. "I missed you." He whispered. You felt his hand touch your cheek, a hand so tired yet using all its energy to hold you.

"How could you? I've just walked out of those doors." Thranduil glanced where Legolas, the son you had created together, had wandered in and out of those doors. Through the place you had both walked through together, so many times before. Legolas was so much of you that Thranduil could see you so clearly in him.

His eyes filled with a glistening sadness. He looked back to you.

"I will always love you both." You whispered.

A shift filled the room again and Thranduil found himself closing his eyes. When they opened, you were gone. It took him a single moment to realise that you were never there.

~•~

I am sorry please forgive me

But on a serious note I am only portraying this concept of loss through these characters, I understand this can be an emotion experienced in real life and therefore is portrayed differently. I only intend for this idea to be based on these characters and their stories from Tolkien and nothing more. 🤍

Thanks for reading!