✔︎𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒘𝒐; 𝑻𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒔

Scottie's POV

Scottie's POV

I wake up groggily to a sudden halt, and it takes me a second to register that we've stopped at a gas station. I sit up and rub my eyes.

"Oh god, I remember this place. The worker here gives me the creeps." I say a shiver runs down my spine.

"When have you ever been here?" Steven asks, as my eyes widen in the realization of what I said. Luckily, Belly and mum entered the car. I steal a snicker bar from her hand as she playfully glares at me.

I notice Belly fixing her hair and applying a light lip tint. I smirk and say "Who are you getting all glammed up for?" in a teasing voice.

She blushes a deep red and mumbles quietly, "No one." I chuckle and sit back, scrolling through Instagram to pass time.

My eyes light up as I see us entering cousins. This new feeling of safety and warmth swirled in my chest as I let my smile widen. The summer never failed to lift me up.

We finally stopped after what felt like hours of driving. I take a deep breath of the fresh air and stretch my arms, still wearing the smile that's been plastered on my face since we left. I go to the back of the car to help with the luggage, and mum puts an arm around me in a half-hug to thank me. I awkwardly pat her on the back before moving to remove the bags.

As I set the last bag down, I moved to the front to see mum and Susannah hugging while Jeremiah and Steven hugged. That's when I noticed him.

Jeremiah Fisher.

He had changed a lot over the summer. He looked fitter, more toned with the muscles he had gotten from working out over the summer. His curly hair framed his forehead right above his eyes. Those damn blue eyes.

I chuckle as Belly and Jeremiah embrace each other, finally stepping out into view. Susannah doesn't waste her time embracing me.

"Hey, Dove." Susannah mumbles.

Susannah called me Dove because I was the most zen baby she'd ever met, and it reminded her of the gentle cooing of a Dove when I was born.

"Hey, Anna," I whisper and embrace the comfort of her arms before letting go and smiling up at her. Susannah was a great role model for me throughout the years I've known her; I admire her strength, her compassion, and how free-spirited she is.

Steven and she engage in a conversation when I turn around to lock eyes with him. It felt like I was staring into the soul of the ocean.