✔︎𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏: 𝑪𝒐𝒎𝒑𝒍𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅?

Narrator's POV

The night air was cool and crisp as Scottie found herself seated in the passenger seat of Ryder's car. A soft glow from the dashboard illuminated their surroundings, revealing a spread of delicious snacks and treats on the makeshift car picnic. The stars above twinkled like scattered diamonds, creating an enchanting backdrop for the evening.

Yet, Scottie's heart was heavy with conflicting emotions. The encounter with Jeremiah at the book party still lingered in her mind, leaving her feeling unsettled. She picked at a cookie absentmindedly, her thoughts racing like the fireflies outside.

Ryder, perceptive as ever, noticed the change in Scottie's demeanor. He had seen the way Jeremiah's presence affected her, and the recent party had only intensified the turmoil within her. He cleared his throat gently, breaking the silence.

"You seem a bit off, Scottie. Is everything okay?" Ryder's voice was soft, carrying a genuine concern that made her heartache.

Scottie sighed, glancing at Ryder. She admired his kindness and the effort he had put into this secret date, yet her heart remained tangled in the complexities of her feelings for Jeremiah. She met Ryder's gaze, her eyes reflecting the turmoil within her.

"I'm just... frustrated," she admitted, her voice tinged with a mixture of exasperation and sadness. "Jeremiah's been acting so confusing lately. One moment, he's distant, and the next, he's showing signs of jealousy. I don't understand him anymore."

Ryder nodded, his expression sympathetic. He had seen the dynamic between Scottie and Jeremiah firsthand, and he understood the depth of her emotions. He reached for her hand, giving it a comforting squeeze.

"Scottie, I can see that this is tearing you apart," Ryder said gently. "And it's okay. Sometimes, the heart wants what it wants, even if it's complicated."

Scottie's eyes welled up with tears, her guilt weighing heavily on her chest. "Ryder, I'm so sorry. You've been amazing, and you deserve someone who can reciprocate your feelings."

Ryder smiled, a mixture of sadness and understanding in his eyes. "Scottie, you don't have to apologize. We can't control who we love. And I've always believed that friendship is the foundation of any strong relationship. If Jeremiah makes you happy, then I'll support you. I'll be rooting for you both."

Scottie blinked back tears, her heart touched by Ryder's sincerity. She squeezed his hand back, appreciating the depth of his kindness. "Thank you, Ryder. You're an incredible friend."