28

"What's wrong, Divana?" Belmira stood up, and Dorian held my shoulders so I was still and not wobbling around like a baby who just started learning to walk. I would have laughed at the funny image if the situation was not serious.

I snapped out of my daze and composed my posture. "Wayne! Wayne Hensler, right?" As I said his name, everyone gasped because they knew who he was to them and me. Who would have thought that a random accident could lead us to my 'uncles' house, who also happened to be the No La Vida gang leader! I see you, author...

Valentina arched her eyebrows in confusion, and Wayne's eyes narrowed as he took a closer look at me. "And you are..." he trailed off as he tried to connect the dots until his whole facial expression changed. It looked like he saw a ghost. Yep, he remembered. "Diva!"

I thought it was best to pretend that we did not know that he was the gang leader, so I mustered my most shocked expression ever. I could work as an actress if I wanted to. "You were supposed to be dead!" The sudden realization hit him, and I ached to punch him in the face but withheld my urge to hit so that I could get an answer to a question that had been on my mind since the kid called Cidro. "I see you well enough to own such a luxurious lifestyle. If you were alive all this time past time, then you must have known that mom and dad are dead, am I right?" I asked, and Dorian held my hands and gave them a light squeeze to show his support. Also, he knew that if I did not like his answer, I would launch at him.

"Yes." His simple reply infuriated me, but he cleared his throat to continue. "I knew, and I felt like I died for the second time! I wanted to come and get you, but I remembered the reason for faking my death...."

"For money? Drugs? Guns? What?" I yelled.

"For you! I faked my death for you, Divana!" I was stunned by his statement, and he did not give me the time to process what he said. "The second my brother and his wife adopted you, your life was in constant danger. Your parents were not aware of the threat. You were the rightful heir to their fortunes, not me, and I didn't care."

"However, I always bought liquor from places where shady people unite since I was an alcoholic, which I am not now. I was never a part of their group until I heard men at the bar were targeting the new Hensler's daughter. Something in me snapped, and I grabbed a gun from one of the shady men by force and killed everyone at the bar, except for the barman."

I looked around, and everyone was shocked at the sudden wave of news. "The barman didn't call the cops because he knew they were criminals and didn't deserve to live freely, but he made a deal with me. He said he would get me out of the country, and I would give him a monthly income for the rest of his life. He was paralyzed, so the jobs he could work were limited, and his quick thinking saved his family from poverty and me from prison cells. I accepted, and he faked my death."

I walked to Oliver lying on the couch and covered his ears. "What the fuck?" I let go of him and walked back to sit next to Dorian. "Why didn't you tell us? Your brother? It's not that I support killing; you should have called the cops. However, it happened, and you could have told dad everything! He would have done something."

"Yeah, he would put me in jail. I knew my brother. He was too pure for this world, and I didn't want to stain his white soul with my bloody hands. It was best for all of us, and look at the bright side, I met my wife here. By the way, I thank you for saving my baby, Oliver."

"Is that why you are a gang leader now?" I asked without hesitation because I had conflicted feelings. Should I thank him for saving my life? Should I hit him for faking his death? Should I call the cops and hand him over to them? What should I do?

His head snapped in my direction, and he stood up. "How do you know that?" He looked at Valentina, and she shook her head.

"It wasn't me."

"It doesn't matter how I know. Why are you associated with such an organization here? I heard, saw, and experienced how ruthless your gang members are!"

"Wait, what do you mean? I know the rumors, but I didn't believe them because they vowed they would only deal with guns and the mafia. What did they do?" Wayne's face started to get red, and I assumed from anger. It could be from the heat, though.

"They kill innocent people! They kidnap men. They rape women, just like how they almost fucking raped me!" At that point, I did not care if Oliver heard a curse word or two.

"What?" Valentina, Wayne, and one of the maids yelled. My group knew that already.

"Yes, they almost did that if it weren't for the bravery of my friends," Jino answered, and I placed my palm on my face to take a deep breath and think. "You see these guys? Dorian, Roy, and Lance? They were forced to kidnap Divana from her home for the same purpose you killed those criminals. Some punks were after her money, and Roy came up with the idea to take her away to save her. They chose a different method of helping her, but that's not the point. The point is that those brats figured out that she was here, in Rio, and teamed up with members of your gang actually to kidnap her! She was taken to an isolated building along with members of my organization. They saved her from your unmerciful men, and you dare say that you only deal with guns and my mafia?"

"And before you ask, yes. We are from the Limpadores mafia. My name is Cidro, and this is my dad, Jino."

"Jino? I heard about you; you are the mafia leader's right arm, no?" Wayne asked, and Jino nodded. "Regarding Divana, I swear I didn't know these things are being done behind my back. My guys always told me they did their job without flaws, yet I am afraid that their definition of flaws is different from mine. Valentina, give me my phone. I will call Dom over!"

~~~

After we all calmed down, the doorbell rang, and Wayne got up to answer it. After a few seconds, he returned to the living room with his hand around a man's neck. As I saw his face, I paled. "He was the one who tried to...." I admitted weakly, and Wayne's eyes flared with rage.

"How could you do that, Dom?" Wayne shouted, and Dom's gaze met mine, and his whole body started shaking, but it was not from fear. His face was so devilish that I got chills and grabbed Dorian's arm. "I trusted you to follow my orders! You have assured me everything was perfect, but you left out that you kidnap, kill, and rape innocent people. What did I say about violating my rules? Do you think I am a puppet in your hands?"

"Actually, yes. I have been doing whatever brought me pleasure and money behind your back for quite a while now, and you can not do anything to stop me. You don't even dare to hurt a fly! It's always been me!" Dom mocked, without knowing the past that Wayne told us earlier. I looked at Lance since he was a cop and turned his back to us because he was not ready to witness what would happen next and not do anything about it.

"Oh really? You think I don't kill because I can't? I just really didn't want to take any more lives, but I guess killing you is worth breaking my own oath." I knew it. Wayne pulled out a gun from the drawer and pointed it at Dom's forehead. "Val, get Oliver out of here. If you are not ready to watch this, the rest of you turn around or get out." His final words made me anxious because I was about to witness a murder, yet I was not sorry for Dom. He had it coming. "Divana," Wayne called, and I looked at him. "I am truly sorry. I hope you can forgive me." And he pulled the trigger.