10

(Chapter 10)The Capital

(Chapter 10)
The Capital

"Normal" - Human's language
"Dragonese" - Dragon's language

~*~

Author POV

The capital was laid out before them, or at least the grand city wall was. They were waiting in a large queue of people to be let into the capital. They weren't allowed special entry despite being part of the military, unless they had urgent business or news to share they were to wait in the long queue with the rest of the common folk.

The walls were big and imposing, the felt like they loomed over the people anticipating its interior. Jimin wasn't keen on the idea of entering, it made him anxious at the idea of being caged with no clear escape.

He never knew it was the dragons inside him feeling uneasy, they knew what was on the other side of the wall and they hoped no more dragons would be dragged into that place.

Taehyung was getting antsy, not liking to stand still. He had drawn attention while they were queuing, people were either giving them a wide berth or outright staring at the dragon.

Jimin had to stop Taehyung from trying to climb onto his horse, the horse had almost spooked and thrown him off. The queue was barely moving, so Jimin slipped from his horse. Cadel seemed to understand, so he grabbed the reins of Jimin's horse. 

Jimin pulled Taehyung along with him. Sitting down on the grassy bank to the road, the dragon happily walked in a few small circles before curling up, like a dog would. He pillowed his head in Jimin's lap, being careful his horns didn't press into Jimin's stomach.

Jimin was content to run his hand periodically through Taehyung's hair. Taehyung's hands came up to stroke his face, a look of adoration in his eyes. He grumbled, but it wasn't audible language, it reminded Jimin of a cat in a way.

~*~

They had been waiting for over an hour, the queue barely moved in that time, there were so many people wanting entrance to a city they hoped would contain a better life for themselves and their families.

The hour mark was when it happened.

There was a strong gust of wind first. It was abrupt and out of nowhere, with no true point of origin it had people looking around in confusion. It was only when the first roar that the crowd lined up looked to the skies.

Jimin too looked up like everyone else. It was to a magnificent sight. 

Dragons.

They moved with powerful flaps of their wings. Scales glinting in the sunlight. They were a variety of colours. Moving so fluently in the sky. Their thunderous roars seemed to vibrate the air and rattle ones heart in their chest.

It was then that Jimin had to cover his ears, Taehyung seeing his kin let out his own deafening roar in response. It was nonsensical, formed no words. It seemed more of an 'I am here' than an actually conversation.

The dragons were directed to land next to, or on to the walls. They were big, bigger than Jimin had realised. Jimin had only seen Taehyung when he was in the sky from a distance. But now that they were standing so close Jimin truly realised how big a fully grown dragon was. 

They seemed to tower over the humans, Jimin wondered how the Human King had even enslaved the great beasts in the first place. Jimin would be cowering before them if they were to be his enemy.

But his attention was drawn when he once again understood the language of the dragons.

"Why must we listen to these humans" a silver dragon complained as their rider dismounted.

"Our King will come for us one day, then we can be free of the humans" another responded, their scales were a brilliant purple.

Their King? Jimin wondered what a Dragon King looked like. He was sure to be the most majestic dragon of all. Perhaps he was a golden scaled dragon, that was what was associated with royalty right, gold.

Taehyung stood up, as Cadel approached Jimin. He had dismounted his horse and left his and Jimin's horses to the care of another knight, his second in command probably. Taehyung went bounding off in the direction of the fully shifted dragons. Jimin was unable to stop him as Cadel addressed him.

"See them, they are the riders." Cadel crouched down next to the still sitting Jimin.

"They are magnificent" Jimin remarked.

Cadel looked less than convinced. He had been in many wars with dragons as the opposition, they were far from majestic, or magnificent in his eyes.

In this time Taehyung had bounded up to the dragons and riders, a pep in his step. The dragons looked down at one of their own. Their eyes widening, though it wasn't noticeable due to the height their heads were at, when they saw the symbol on his forehead, one that marked him as one of the chosen.

A chosen dragon shouldn't be anywhere near the capital. They were the only hopes the dragons had to finding their King and securing their freedom from the humans. 

"What are you doing here?" a dragon hissed at Taehyung.

Taehyung looked hurt at that, it had been so long since he had seen another of his kin. 

"You are supposed to be at the nests" the silver dragon growled at him.

"But my duty is to my King" Taehyung looked up at their bent down heads with confusion.

He had been instructed at a young age that he was to protect his King no matter what. That he would know him immediately upon meeting him, just by being in his presence. His duty along with the sacred 6 chosen dragons was to deliver their King to his righteous throne.

"Then why are you here?" the older full shifted dragons were worried. Taehyung was one of the most precious dragons, he shouldn't be here.

"Because my King is here" 

~*~

Liking it?

Which dragon do you think will appear next in the story?

Anyway I hope you liked the chapter.

Vote?

Comment?

Bye,
Winter