25

(Chapter 25)

(Chapter 25)

The price of courage

'Normal' - Human tongue

'Dragonese' - Dragon's tongue

~*~

Author POV

"Jimin Park" his name was practically roared as a quite frankly massive man approached them. He was clearly a solider of some sort with a build like his, he made an intimidating picture. 

"Yes sir?" Jimin turned his eyes to the man, remaining in the crouched position, Auden resting against his chest still shivering. Thankfully the violent full body shaking had calmed down and he was only shivering due to the cool air. 

"What do you think you are doing?" the man was red in the face.

"Auden fell sir, I saved him" Jimin responded truthfully, he saw no reason for anger. 

"And you should have let him fall, he shouldn't be here if he can't ride a dragon" the man sneered looking down at Auden who had turned his face into Jimin's chest. 

"His dragon has never flown before, it is easy to fall from an uncoordinated dragon" Jimin shrugged.

Apparently that had not been the correct way to respond for the man proceeded to blow up at Jimin. 

"Then he is a fool. If he cannot ride a dragon he should have stayed at home. You will not get marks for kindness in this test. And to think I was excited for your performance, Aife spoke so highly of you, but all I feel is disappointment" The solider sneered.

"I may not get points for kindness, but I will get satisfaction and relief from seeing my competitors alive rather than dead" Jimin retorted, his eyes blazing with unbridled anger. 

When the man turned back to Jimin, before he could take a step forward, Taehyung extended forward, still full shift, and roared in his face. Fangs fully bared and Jimin swore he heard the faint sound of thunder in the distance.

To the soldier's credit he did not flinch, but his eyes betrayed the hesitancy he was feeling. Taehyung was a big dragon, Jimin could see that now, when he had comparison of other dragons that had been brought to the competition. 

"Taehyung down" Jimin commanded.

Taehyung obeyed him with a huff, head craning down so that he could butt his snout against Jimin's side, almost pushing the human over. 

Sensing that he would talk no 'sense' into Jimin the solider turned on his heel and headed back to the rest of the judges. 

Jimin rested his hand atop of Taehyung's snout, moving his hand back and forth, Taehyung let out an appreciative grumble at the gesture. 

"Keep an eye on him" Jimin muttered under his breath, Taehyung let out a snort to make sure Jimin knew he heard him. 

~*~

The marks for the test were released and they were instructed to return back to their homes or barracks, for the next test would be held tomorrow in a hall in the lower levels of the castle. 

Cadel had greeted him at the front door, when Jimin told him of the test and how he went back for his competitor Cadel had smiled. Ushering him inside for a hearty meal that Jimin appreciated after a long day of standing in a cold field. 

Jimin went to bed that night, his mind playing the moment Auden fell from his dragon over and over a memory he could not erase. Part of him wanted to awaken Taehyung by his side and fly to the dragon colony seeking their comfort. But realistically the sun was to arise soon and his test was to be held early in the morning, so he did not have time. 

Taehyung curled into his side, a source of warmth Jimin appreciated with the cold of winter approaching quickly. Jimin turned to his side, slotting himself under Taehyung's chin and pressing his face into his chest. Attempted to push the memory from his mind and fell into a fitful sleep.

~*~

Jimin had been sluggishly slow in the morning, his lack of sleep impacting his ability to move and think. He was practically falling asleep on his feet, leaning against Taehyung, his eyelids drooping. 

Jimin still was one of the first people to arrive at the hall, partially because Cadel had an early meeting so he was ushered out of the house, the other part he hoped to get to the hall and squeeze in a nap before the test began.

Unfortunately he did not get the nap he desired instead he was instructed into the hall straight away and into a seat, clearly the second test was a written one. Jimin silently thanked Cadel for teaching him to read and write yet again. 

Taehyung took a seat on the floor beside Jimin, his back resting against the leg of the chair the human sat upon. Jimin found himself confused on the test, most of it was about the history of the king defeating the dragons.

Cadel had filled him in, but the specifics were not completely known to him. He answered to the best of his ability, Taehyung grumbling to him about details he did not know, history that had been passed down through the dragons. 

Jimin felt more nervous about this test than he had been soaring hundreds of miles in the air with nothing but the dragon beneath him. Strange how that was. Soon he was packing up and leaving Taehyung by his side as always.

~*~

It was 2 days later that he found out his marks on the test, he had opened it in the sanctuary of his room, agreeing with Cadel he would share after he had read it first. When he peeled off the wax seal to discover had passed, barely, but passed he let out a sound of delight. Rushing like an over excitable child to show Cadel, awaiting the praise of the older knight. 

Cadel had merely smiled and patted him on the shoulder, promising to make his favourite food for dinner as a reward. Jimin had rushed out the door after that for a celebratory flight with Taehyung to fly the nerves out of his body. Flying always exhilarated Jimin, but when he landed he always felt calm. 

It was 3 days later that Jimin got the letter saying he got into the final round, the last was to be performed in front of the King himself, so he could had pick them. 

This was Jimin's moment and he was not going to waste it.

~*~

Sorry this chapter took so long, but I hope you liked it.

What do you think the King will be like?

Vote?

Comment?

Bye,

Winter