Filth in the Beauty

The beauty of innovations and development could leave one who lives in the towering heights of the capital wonderstruck. How the endless lights and enormous screens flash give so much life to the bustling place, with the streets filled with people in suits and casual clothes, their hands and eyes fixated on their mobile devices, and subways filled with thousands of people from various diverse origins meet and interact.

But this writer has one question in mind: How can you say that a country is developed? That all of these things we have are not fraud or a mask of corruption? Have you ever wondered why amidst the growth around you, there are still people on the other side that live in the slums, barely having food and water to drink? Children who are forced into labor instead of learning in schools? And families dying because of severe poverty?

This development might be directly affecting those who live in the capital, as a result of being an incessant part of the working class or even the elites who are privileged enough to have money to spend on luxury. You can have bacon for breakfast, beef tripe stew for lunch, steaks and wine for dinner, topped with desserts after such a grand meal. You could even have an extra dime for a pinch of caviar, who knows? You could send your children to elite schools, and learn about philosophies, histories, and even various languages that one can deem to be necessary. Development has a trickle-down effect on people who have an avenue to do what they ought to yet disenfranchise people from minorities. Yes, that's a sad reality.

These infrastructures and innovations are only beautiful on the outside, yet they are rotten inside and to their core even. Most often than not, these are made of substandard materials, and a single quake can make them crumble into dust along with people who tirelessly have spent their days and nights doing hard labor for a grandiose infrastructure. The ceremonial ribbon cutting is nothing but a mere ceremony, a mere aesthetic for the capital that does not serve any purpose but to put gold in the pockets of corrupt leaders.

Don't be deceived by filths masking in beautiful things and by the so-called development when you barely feel its impact. Learn to raise questions when there are suspicions. Knowledge is power and ignorance is a curse. This, I tell you, there is no pure beauty in politics, especially in a government built by clowns.

— Alethea