Chapter Eleven

The heavenly voices of the chorale resound all over the cathedral as the sealed coffin of the former premier lays in state in the middle of the aisle. The former premier's casket is draped with the flag of the country, and on top of it is a humble wreath of baby's breath, gerbera daisies, and chrysanthemums. Around the casket are guards who stand in a vigil to honor the loss of our beloved premier. The somber melody of the piano accompanies the angelic voices of young children. Statesmen, legislators, and emissaries of different states and nations have come to bid their farewell to the respected leader of our country. Citizens dressed in black have lined the streets as the establishment has closed down in honor of the premier. Seas of flowers and earnest prayers are pouring in the capital and in front of the home of the former premier. Cards and letters to the premier and her bereaved family are attached to any gift the mourners send on their way. Everywhere, one can see the portrait of Lilibeth Hugo, cameras from different news channels, and journalists trying their best to cover the week-long funeral.

Flags all over the country are put at half-mast and the whole country is in a state of national mourning. During the council of the congress and other state affairs, politicians and lawmakers have tied a black ribbon on their right arm. Even during the televised hearing, one can conclude that the council is in disarray because of the loss of such a great leader. The exchange seems dull and discourse is little to none. Lamp posts are tied with black ribbons by the mourners in the street, children are holding white roses and chrysanthemums in their hands as they are guided inside the cathedral. It's the last day of the state viewing of the premier's casket. Hundreds of thousands of mourners have come in line to the wake of the beloved premier since the day she was laid to state. Guards stay in vigil beside her casket, standing still with their rifles in their hands, their faces stoic.

It's been a week, too, since I have spent time with my parents. My father is often held in press briefings about the plans for the premier's funeral, while my mother is stuck doing her job as a statesman. The transition of power from the former administration to the upcoming administration will surely create a shift in the paradigm of politics and policies. Father and mother only go home to fetch clothes and deliver meals for me, and as usual, I am like a canary stuck in this glass cage I call home, watching the mourners on the street as they form a sea clad in black and flowers, creating a stark contrast on the already solemn capital. I can only watch how my father and mother have lost weight because of the stress and burden that have surrounded their profession.

I heave a sigh and slump on the sofa, listening to the ticking of our old grandfather's clock that echoes all over our flat. It is just as empty as my being at this moment, as dull and dark as the gloomy weather outside. I want to ask my father about the cryptic message I have received every time they go home, but they have no time to rest. I cannot add more to what they already have on their plate. I know they are burdened by the press and the handovers of terms and administrative responsibilities. I will just assume that the call is a prank just like how we usually receive it because our line is publicized for easier contact with my family.

I have started to get lost in time and get tired of the news I keep on hearing from the radio. Usual programs in any form of broadcasting are suspended as a sign of national mourning. The program is then put to an abrupt halt and the news anchor announces that the new premier has a message for the nation about the loss of our leader and his plan to carry out after stepping up to his new position.

"With profound sadness and sorrow, our nation gathered in the streets as we offered our prayers and well wishes for the bereaved family of our beloved Premier Lilibeth Hugo. Laying flowers on monumental monuments with cards and balloons to bid our final farewell to the person that we treated as a mother of this nation.

"She was a beloved mother and grandmother not just to her family but to the nation. Her sudden passing left a great loss to a well-established leadership that prospered under her administration. As the new premier, I plan on continuing her goals of modernizing our country through infrastructure and supporting industries for self-sufficiency.