34. Gossip

"I heard  a rumor, in the barracks," Lore-Val told Solitaire in the lift on the way home, "What are the chances it's actually true?"

"Depends. Who'd you hear it from?"

"Hart."

Solitaire frowned at her, "Since when do you talk to the Corries?"

Lore-Val shrugged, "He was in the lunch line with me and asked if I'd heard about Senator Amidala."

"And what has he heard about the senator?"

"That she's pregnant." Solitaire frowned at the word and Lore-Val sighed before explaining, "That she is going to have a baby the natborn way."

Solitaire hummed his understanding, "She'd need a husband for that wouldn't she?"

"No, just a human man. Well actually, there's a handful of other species she could have a baby with, but I'd be willing to bet it's Anakin's baby."

"Obviously," he scoffed.

"So is it true?"

Solitaire shrugged, "There's one way for you to find out."

.   .   .

Lore-Val shuffled in her seat at the table, pushing rice around her plate.

"Can I ask you something really rude?" she asked when the stress of not asking finally got the best of her.

Padme looked up from her own plate, "Of course."

"Is it true that you're pregnant?" Lore-Val asked quickly, the words spilling out of her mouth.

Padme clearly stiffened at the words, "Oh Lore-Val I'm so sorry, I should've told you myself. I didn't want someone else to tell you first but I kept putting it off-"

"Padme, this is amazing!" Lore-Val shouted, running over and wrapping her friend in a hug. She released her after a moment, nearly bouncing in her excitement, "Did you tell Anakin? He's going to be so excit-" her face dropped, "Stars, I'm sorry. Padme I swear I haven't said anything to anyone, I was just so excited and it slipped out."

The woman blinked, before smiling wide, and holding the girl in another hug. She was so glad someone knew, someone knew about her, and Anakin, and their baby. It was a relief. She let out a shuddering breath, squeezing tightly, "It's alright. How long have you known?"

"Since we went to Naboo," Lore-Val answered sheepishly, "But I haven't told anyone. That's a lie. I told Solitaire, but he already knew so that doesn't count does it?"

She pushed Lore-Val back a step, "Solitaire knows?"

Lore-Val nodded, "He uh, he said most of the troopers know, or suspect anyway. They won't say anything though! I mean some of the boys have covered for you even!"

"Okay," another sigh, "Okay. That'll take some getting used to," she paused, "Does Obi-Wan know?"

"I don't think so. But Anakin doesn't exactly excel at stealth."

Padme nodded, her thoughts racing to make a plan, "We're going to keep this between us okay? Everyone that knows has proven themselves trustworthy."

"What about Anakin?"

"I'll talk to him when he's back on the planet. This isn't anything I want to tell him over holo."

Lore-Val nodded, offering a timid smile, "Can we go back to being excited?"

Padme laughed, "Yes, we can definitely go back to being excited. I think we need to celebrate," she stood from her seat, "How about some dessert? There's puff pie in the kitchen."

AN: The rest of this week is very much busy so an early update. I think I want to go back and name the chapters, if you have suggestions please comment!