𝚁𝚘𝚌𝚔 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚊 𝙷𝚊𝚛𝚍 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚌𝚎

________________________________

I'm just stretching on the side of the studio, watching as James and West dance in sync. I can't help but giggle at the repetitive move they're doing. I look past the boys and see Kate and Chris walking in.

"Attention, dancers! Attention, please," Chris calls out.

Kate starts up when we give them our attention, "Some exciting news. It looks like we are going to be competing at a local dance competition this weekend." We all burst out in excitement, looking forward to TNS's first appearance at a local competition this season.

🩰

Going to local competitions at the beginning of the season is a great way to shake off the cobwebs and scout out the future competition. You get to dance in front of an audience and get rid of those nerves before heading to Regionals.

🩰

"We're going to shake it up a bit, and I'm going to change the line positions," Ms. Kate says after we calm down a little, "You'll perform for Chris and me, and then I'll make the decision." This is obviously not something that Emily saw coming. The look of shock on her face makes it very difficult for me not to snort. At my studio in Valencia, it was always the head choreographer that decided line positions. They didn't trust the Dance Captain not to pick favourites, or use it as a way to be petty.

Emily storms after Kate and Chris, leaving the rest of us in the studio. I turn to West and raise a single eyebrow at him, before rolling my eyes. You can count on Emily to make things dramatic for no apparent reason.

🩰

I get that Emily is Dance Captain, and line positions is a job for the Dance Captain, but Emily has clear favourites within the Troupe. Namely the E-Girls. So Kate and Chris doing it would mean that whatever position you get is the one you deserve.

🩰

Emily exits the office, holding a clipboard, shouting, "All right, everybody," clapping to gain the attention of all us dancers, " are you ready? The order is Chloe, Tiffany, Daniel, Eldon, James, Hayden, Stephanie, Riley, Michelle, then West."

The music start and Chloe begins her solo. I see Emily and Stephanie making comments as the girl dances.

Tiffany swaps with Chloe and starts dancing. She has so much sass, but so little technique, it's a shame... not.

Tiffany and Daniel swap, Daniel entering with a leap, before continuing with his dance. I can see the contrast between the two dancers immediately, Daniel's technique is insane.

Eldon starts when Daniel finishes. He does really well... until he ends his routine with a creepy stare in Emily's direction.

James flips in. He has more technique than some hip-hop dancers I know, but it isn't as much as me.