THE AEGEAN

Androkles oversees the preparations as the final supplies are loaded onto the boat that evening, and we depart with several other ships before sunrise the next morning.

I've never been on the sea before, and soon worry how I'll ever survive the journey ahead. I huddle at the back of the ship and fight the urge to be sick with every dip. Androkles finds me clutching to the side and manages to pry me loose.

I cling to him as he guides me down the narrow walkway between the rowers to the front of the ship, where there's an unobstructed view. I make the mistake of looking straight down and gasp, afraid we'll be swallowed by the wave. He places his arm around my shoulders to steady me, and points to the horizon. I look to him skeptically, but then focus my eyes on the horizon.

I finally relax as the nausea fades, and I can appreciate the comfort of his steadying hold. He smooths back the hair lapping at my face and I manage a smile. He holds my shoulders for a moment before going back to his duties.

At first, I worry about being the only woman on the ship. I stay on the bow most of the time, since the men have their backs to me while they row. The only time I'm really close to the men is during meals, and Androkles always situates himself beside me. Still, sometimes when Androkles is occupied I find unwanted eyes on me.

Occasionally I assist with preparing the food, depending on whose turn it is, since there is little else I can do. Androkles seems to trust Damon, Lysander, and Mydon the most. I learn that all three left for Ilion with him. Lysander and Mydon were barely old enough to go to war at the time. When they talk about him, I almost forget that they are not his own brothers. I enjoy Mydon's light-hearted company the most, but none seem to mind when I offer to help.

As I'm passing-out the bread one afternoon, one of the men taunts me, asking, "Has he loosened your girdle yet?"

I shake my head awkwardly, my cheeks hot with embarrassment, and hurry on with distributing the food.

"Well, Androkles?" the same voice calls-out. I flinch and look to Androkles, who is absorbed with a repair. "When are you going to break her in?"

He looks up suddenly, his face red with anger. "That's none of your concern!" he barks.

"Sure it is," the man laughs darkly, "once you've had your fun, we can all take turns."

"There will be no turns!" Androkles shouts, marching toward the man. He grabs him up and knocks his head back with his fist, then releases him in a heap.

"She's mine," Androkles growls, addressing the crew. "If any man touches her, I'll send him to Hades. Understood?"

A few voice an answer, but the rest, like me, are shocked into silence by his outburst.

Androkles grabs my arm as he storms to the front of the ship. His anger frightens me, but I follow, eager to escape from the view of the men.

"You mustn't help with feeding the men anymore," he orders sternly. Unable to respond for the lump in my throat, I nod my understanding, tears pooling in my downcast eyes.

He sighs and slides his hands down to hold mine. "It's not your fault," he assures me, caressing my wrists. "Just the sight of a woman can have an effect on a man, especially..." he clears his throat before continuing, "well, especially on a long journey."

I can feel the blood rush to my cheeks. "I didn't know."

"I know you didn't," he assures me. "And they know I'd never allow anyone to touch you, but you can spare them the temptation." I'm mindful after that, aware that he spoke out of concern for me and his men.

The winds pick-up and the skies darken that evening. The men anxiously prepare for the storm, then hunker down once there's nothing else to be done but wait it out. I lose my footing and fall sideways as the boat rocks suddenly, but Androkles catches me before I go over. I kneel and clutch the side of the boat and he braces me with his body.

I tense with every drop and rise, desperately trying to steady the ship with my own strength. Soon the sky is so dark and the rain so heavy that I can't see the back of the ship anymore. With every wave that crashes over the side I fear that we'll be submerged, but the ship always bobs up and stays afloat. I close my eyes hoping to find solace there, but am met with images of sinking into the depths. I look to Androkles and am comforted by the concern in his eyes. I release my stiff fingers from the ship and wrap my arms around him. His back is soaked and I realize he's been sheltering me from the worst of the downpour.

Finally, the intensity of the storm fades. Androkles checks on the men before surveying the damage. Many of the supplies are missing and several oars splintered, and there's no sign of the other ships that were traveling with us. Some of the men worry that the rest were lost to the sea, but Androkles assures them that the fleet was only scattered.