MYCENAE Part 2

When Leonidas is three months old, our evening is interrupted. Damon barges into the bedroom and warns Androkles that Agamemnon is coming for our son.

"Kleomede, get ready to leave. Quickly!" I don't understand the danger, but I've never seen such terror or concern in his eyes so I obey without question. I jump up to gather essentials into a parcel and Androkles turns on Damon. "How did he find-out?"

Damon takes a step back before admitting, "We were talking about you - I'd had too much wine- and I said..."

"What!" Androkles shouts impatiently.

"I said Menelaos wasn't the only one to bring a wife home from Ilion," he confesses.

Androkles grabs Damon angrily, "You put my family in danger!"

"Please, I came to warn you." To my relief, Androkles releases him.

Leonidas is swaddled, asleep in his cradle. I gently lift him to my chest, careful not to wake him, and wrap him against me in a sling.

As Androkles ushers me out the door Damon calls after us, "What can I do?"

"You've done enough," Androkles snaps. I give Damon an apologetic glance and he nods his understanding as Androkles takes my hand and leads us out into the night.

The city is quiet as Androkles and I steal away. I hold my breath, terrified that Leonidas will wake and cry, but he sleeps- blissfully unaware of the danger. Thankfully, Damon gave us enough warning that we don't meet any soldiers in the streets. Androkles takes us around the northern hill, but several months of inactivity and my precious bundle make me slow.

The city is almost hidden behind the hill when we notice soldiers in chariots pursuing us. Androkles lifts me in his arms and takes off at a run.

We've nearly reached a small farm house when Androkles sets me on my feet and tells me to go.

"Lysander!" I hear him call out behind me.

To my surprise, Lysander suddenly emerges from the house, bow in hand. I turn to see him take out two of the soldiers who have caught-up to Androkles. Between the two of them I watch five more fall. Suddenly a blade finds Androkles' flesh and a blow to his ribs brings him to his knees. Before he can reclaim his footing, a sword is pointed at his throat.

"No!" I sob, collapsing to the ground. This wakes Leonidas, who also begins to cry.

A second man points his sword at Androkles and calls to Lysander, "Bring me the Trojan child." My arms tighten around my son, determined to protect him, even as I'm pierced with the desperation of knowing I can't do the same for the man I love.

Lysander doesn't move, his arrow poised. In the silence, Leonidas lets out a heart-breaking wail.

Androkles' eyes shimmer as they rest on our son, and I feel the love in his gaze when they raise to my own.

"Take care of them for me," Androkles chokes-out.

Lysander gravely nods his promise, then lowers his bow and turns to help me to my feet.

No- You can't leave me! "Androkles!" I sob.

His eyes are fixed on me as the men raise their swords.

"Kleomede, we have to go." Lysander starts to drag me away but I fight him, desperately trying to reach Androkles.

"Go!" Androkles orders.

Suddenly one of the swords clatters to the ground. The soldier who had been wielding it falls, an arrow stuck in his back. Lysander quickly shoots the other soldier. I burst into tears of relief as Androkles grabs a sword and scrambles to his feet.