THE END

Life in the country suits us. Androkles sends for Morea, whom we regard more as a mother than a servant. Even with her help, my hands are never idle. Androkles' days, too, are full of purpose and satisfying work looking after the farm. We have more time together than we did before, and one evening I suggest to Androkles that we stay in the country. He seems surprised at first, but when I remind him how much happier we've been, he agrees.

Lysander stops over one day to announce he'll be learning carpentry. Androkles congratulates him, then Lysander says, "It's all thanks to your wife."

Androkles turns to me in surprise, and I blink back at him.

Lysander laughs then explains, "She suggested, a long time ago, that I was lucky that I could do anything I chose."

"We're pleased for you Lysander," I tell him, "and know you'll do well." I'm glad, and hope this can make-up for the heartbreak I've caused. I read only friendship and gratitude in his eyes when he smiles at me. He often visits us after that, but once his trade is established he makes preparations to welcome a bride to his home.

Androkles and I are watching Leonidas play on the floor one day when he suddenly says, "Kleomede, I love you. I just realized I've never told you before."

I smile at my husband. "I've always known," I reassure him.

He comes close to me, grinning with a secret. "I don't think so – not always." He pulls me into his arms and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "You see," he whispers, "from the moment I found my nymph in the woods, my heart was hers."