THE AEGEAN Part 2

Androkles silences the protests of concern to load-up the ship, and we're sailing again before Helios' chariot rises above the trees. I look back at the island as it shrinks away. I shiver, glad for every wave that carries us further away.

My mind whirls with questions, but Androkles is occupied the rest of the day. His groans of pain and my own terrifying memories haunt me even in the daylight. Finally the sea calms as the sun sets, and Androkles motions with his head for me to join him.

"Had enough adventure yet?" he asks lightly, but I read concern in his eyes. I nod, looking to the bandage on his arm. He lifts my chin for me to look at him.

"Is that what's troubling you?" he inquires softly. "It will heal in time," he assures me. I nod in agreement but only manage a weak smile. "What, then? Tell me," he invites.

I reflect for a moment, then simply say, "Xeros." I want to know why he would try to kill me.

His eyes darken as he explains, "he was Ares' brother." I shake my head, the name unfamiliar to me. "The man that-" he stops and clenches his jaw. "The man who said I would regret not letting him travel with us," he explains. The man that attacked me.

"I never would have let him come with us," he continues, "except that he swore he had no loyalty to his brother, only me. Going after you was the worst possible way he could have had his revenge on me."

My heart leaps at his confession, but I ignore it for the moment, reminded of the other question I need explained.

"Anything else?"

I nod, grateful for his understanding, and take a sip of wine before saying slowly, "I thought I was your slave."

"Did I say you were?" he asks, his tone gently scolding. I shake my head, still confused. "I was only thinking of your safety," he explains, "when I asked you to obey me."

He's silent for a moment and I think he's trying to suppress a smile when he asks, "You would have been content as my slave?"

"As long as I was yours," I whisper. For the briefest moment I regret my brash response, but then he takes my head in his hand and kisses me. Warmth surges through me and I get tingles at the back of my neck. I'm blushing with happiness when he holds my head close to his face and strokes my cheek.

I change Androkles' bandage the next morning. "If I had herbs I could help with the pain and speed the healing," I tell him wistfully.

He smiles and shakes his head. "Isn't it enough that you saved me? I would have torn it out and bled to death, but you knew better." I wince, remembering his painful cry as I removed the arrow.

"I was so scared, Androkles."

"But you seemed so calm." He looks at me in wonder, then says, "I never knew a woman could be brave. But none of my men had the courage to do what you did for me."

"That's hardly fair," I argue. "I just knew what I needed to do."

He nods but his expression is suddenly sad when he asks, "How long did you help the wounded?"

"I started learning when I was twelve. Why, what's wrong?"

"I've spent, what seems like my whole life, fighting and killing. But you've been nursing and healing; making men whole again."

I'm oddly consoled by this comparison but don't know what to say. I wrap my arms around him and rest my head on his chest.

In the days following I help with what little tasks I can to keep myself occupied, but the time still passes slowly. I'm relieved every time I change Androkles' bandages at the continued healing. I savor the brief time I get with Androkles, and relive the sweetest moments when I'm alone. One morning he told me, I dreamed I caught a beautiful nymph. I protected her and tamed her, and she saved my life.