Chapter Three

Three

Genie and Marissa were put to the test of selling Marissa's new identity over dinner. Fortunately, Dr. Langston tactfully avoided the subject of her family and past, seeming to understand it was a subject best not broached at the time.

"Dr. Langston," Genie broke suddenly into a moment of awkward silence, "Marissa may be of use at the hospital. She has a great deal of medical experience and trained alongside her father, who was a doctor, for many years."

Craig's sapphire gaze turned immediately to Marissa. "Really?"

Marissa shot Genie a pinched look before turning back to Craig. "Yes. I have worked with physicians in the past."

"I'm impressed. Not many of the women I know have much interest in medicine. Most of them are like Genie here, and can't stand the blood." He rocked back in his chair as though contemplating the possibility of having Marissa work with him. "Well, Lord knows how much we need help at the hospital. I don't know if Major Bernstein will go for having a young, unmarried woman work there, though." He winked at her, a twinkle lighting his blue eyes. "Dare I not forget to mention pretty, but I'll see what I can do."

He thinks I'm pretty? This man was obviously one accustomed to being fawned over by women, his every glance or smile sought as a treasure. Immediately, Marissa realized it would behoove her to maintain a safe distance. But at the same time there was just something about him, a warm confidence that was absolutely intoxicating. He seemed to read her train of thought and grinned directly into her eyes.

All of a sudden her shoulders, where his arm had stretched not half an hour earlier, burned as though the weight of him were still there. She found herself paralyzed as the smile transformed his already handsome face. The perfectly portioned mouth curved into a most charmingly boyish grin that spread across his countenance and infused his radiant blue eyes with warmth. In that moment a jolt of raw sensual awareness shot through Marissa, causing the shattered pieces of her heart to tremble. Smiling across the table at her he ceased to be the intimidating Apolloistic figure of a man in uniform and became, quite simply... irresistible.

Her lashes flitted downward and she licked her lips, insides suffused with butterflies as blood thrummed in her ears. Why am I so nervous? One would think a good looking man had never flirted with her. Straightening, she gazed into the intense hue of his warm eyes. On the porch she hadn't been blind to the effect her southern belle routine had had on the good doctor. She'd thought no harm could come from an innocent flirtation—especially with a man who looked like that. But... perhaps she'd been wrong.

The meal progressed amiably and again Marissa found herself relaxing in the pleasant company. She had recently spent her evenings primarily alone and once again, even in the midst of these unfamiliar surroundings, she felt at ease. "Why don't Fredrick and Grace join us?" she queried, wondering where the older couple had gone.

"I have never been able to convince them to share a table with me." Genie shrugged. "I think the unseen scars of slavery run far deeper than those that meet the naked eye."

Marissa nodded in understanding." Well, I'll find Grace later and thank her for the wonderful meal. I can't remember the last time I ate anything so delicious!" No restaurant claiming to provide southern cooking could hold a candle to the fare Grace had provided.

Craig instantly repeated the sentiment and turned to Marissa. "Maris-er-ah... Miss McClafferty, would you care to take a walk with me outside?" He glanced at Genie as if for permission. Marissa nearly laughed aloud. This world demanded different manners from both men and women. "I would like to further discuss the possibility of your niece working at the hospital and the extent of her medical knowledge."