Chapter Five

Five

Later that evening Marissa conversed congenially with Genie and Carolyn in the cozy atmosphere of the sitting room. She'd planned to dredge her mind and Genie's for information that may lead her home, not in front of Carolyn, of course, but she found the quiet companionship of the other women too enjoyable to interrupt. So often at home she was alone and lonely.

"And the next thing I knew, Alfred and Jim came flying out of the barn with that damn rooster pecking at their heels!" The three women erupted into a fit of giggles as Genie related yet another Toughie story.

A heavy fist pounded at the door quieting the mirth of the women.

"Who could be calling at this hour?" Carolyn said, rising to open the front door. She stepped back with a warm smile. "Why Dr. Langston. How nice to see you."

Instantly Marissa leapt to her feet.

"Would you like to come in?" Carolyn invited.

"Thank you," Craig replied, stepping through the door and pulling the gray cap from his blond head. "Is Miss Marissa available to receive callers?"

"Yes," Marissa answered, stepping urgently forward. Their eyes locked and she knew in an instant something was terribly wrong. "What's happened?" On impulsive she took his hand, ushering him into the small parlor. Genie and Carolyn tactfully excused themselves, allowing a moment or two of privacy.

Craig looked haggard as he dropped heavily upon the pale green sofa. "I'm sorry." He seemed to choke on the words. "I just had to see you. I don't know why, but..."

She took a step forward, achingly aware of the agony in Craig's intense gaze. "Did you speak with Mrs. Cole?"

His eyes closed in a pained gesture and he nodded slowly. Swallowing convulsively he whispered, "It was awful. She'd already found out."

"Oh, Craig..." She sat beside him and slid a hand onto his forearm.

"She tried to kill herself," the strangled words wrenched from his body and his head sagged defeatedly forward as if even his powerful muscles had given up. "I got there just in time. I took her to the hospital and I told her how sorry I am, but the worst part is," he swallowed hard, "she didn't even blame me. She was glad I was there for Billy."

A single tear slid slowly down Marissa's cheek. Wrapping comforting arms around him she pulled his head to her and rocked him soothingly.

"It's all my fault. Billy was just a kid. Why did it have to be him? He lied about his age, you know. He and my brother both did. Why did they do that? And now Billy's mother—oh, God, why? It's my fault. It is! I should have been able to protect him!" The words ripped convulsively from his throat. "I promised her and—"

"No, Craig, this is not your fault." Marissa kept her tone soft but firm. "You must stop blaming yourself." Her fingers ran through the thick locks of his hair. "Bad things happen and you just can't save everyone."

"I know that." He pulled miserably away from her and rested his elbows on his knees, head sagging.

"The best you can do for anyone is try, and then keep moving forward. Think of all the people you have helped and think of all the people who still need you."

For a long time he just sat, not moving, contemplating her words.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly, lifting his head at last. "I shouldn't have burdened you with this. I should have talked to Major Bernstein or James Rowe."

With a firm shake of her head Marissa gave him a small smile, "No, you were right to come to me. After all I offered didn't I?"

Craig offered a weak smile. "I'll have you know this is not a side of me that comes forth very often. If I can ever repay the favor I would be more than happy to lend a shoulder."