Chapter Four

Four

As the cart bumped along the muddy road winding into Charleston, Marissa listened with half an ear to Genie prattle on about an array of somewhat obscure topics, none of which gave Marissa any clues as to what she was actually talking about. And the fact of the matter was she didn't want to know. The surreal dreamlike quality of the last few days was gone and she just wanted to cry—scream and sob, throw things, and pitch a right fine temper tantrum. She deserved a tantrum. And she certainly didn't care about the 1863 political climate, or how many munitions plants existed in Charleston, or how the union blockade of the coast affected the south. The Civil War from her prospective was ancient history. Something you spoke reverently about from time to time because it was an awful part of the past—key word—past. Her great-great-great-great grandfather had fought in the Civil War for Christ's sake!

Her political climate consisted of the Middle East, an impending presidential election, and healthcare reform! Did real healthcare even exist in this time? Forget a new life! All she really wanted was to go home! She would deal with Brian. She would make nice with Marne—well, maybe not make nice, but behave tolerably—if only she could find a way back to her real life. Her eyes, gritty and dry, pricked as though to form tears, but the course of the last two weeks combined with the events of the last two days had left her body quite incapable of forming anymore tears.

The cart bumped over a rise and Marissa stared, mesmerized.

She may well have stepped into Gone with the Wind, and was instantly struck with a mental image of the photo hanging over the door of the USC commons. But this was like nothing she could have imagined. The streets were alive with people and activity and while nothing modern met her wide-eyed gaze, nothing about the city struck her as antique either. This was a place of vibrancy, fascinating in its richness and range of different sights. All thoughts of temper tantrums and tears crowded to the back of her mind.

Genie expertly wound the cart through the streets. "We'll just pick up my daughter before heading to the hospital." She turned to smile at Marissa who was desperately wishing she'd paid more attention in high school history class. Rounding a cobblestone corner Genie halted the conveyance in front of an adorable two story brick house. "Here we are." Genie tied off the reins and alighted from the small carriage. Marissa lingered in the seat.

"Mama!" a pretty young woman with Genie's blond hair and cheerful expression came bounding out of the house, leaving the door to bang behind her.

Genie's face lit with motherly pride as she embraced her daughter. "Carolyn, dear, how are you?"

"I'm wonderful, Mama. I received a letter from Alfred today. He is in Tennessee of all places or at least he was almost two months ago when the letter was sent. He's been promoted to 1st lieutenant!"

"Oh, Carolyn that is wonderful news."

"I hope so." Carolyn's light blue eyes flicked the wooden cart.

"Carolyn." Genie gave Marissa a reassuring smile. "I would like you to meet your cousin."

"Cousin?" Carolyn looked in surprise from her mother to Marissa sitting quietly inside the cart.

"Yes," Genie said firmly. "This is Marissa. She came from Atlanta the other day to stay with me."

Carolyn smiled warmly at Marissa, but turned back to her mother. "I didn't realize we had any family in Atlanta."

"I'm afraid my sister and I were estranged for many years. Marissa sought me out after her recent death."

Carolyn gave her mother a dubious look, but turned to Marissa with open arms. "Marissa, it is wonderful to meet you. I am your cousin, Carolyn Reed." Marissa liked Carolyn instantly, finding her mannerisms much like her mother's. Looking puckishly from Marissa to Genie, Carolyn demanded, "Are you ready to go shopping?"