Eighteen

Eighteen

Standing outside of Major Bernstein's office James Rowe gnawed at wad of tobacco stuffed in his cheek. His conversation with Craig Langston had left him deeply troubled and he now sought the counsel of his commanding officer. The major would know the best course of action, or so James sincerely hoped.

"What can I help you with, Captain Rowe?"

Closing the door behind him James turned to the major. "Sir, I think I can blow this whole situation with Craig and Marissa Langston out of the water, but I'm going to need your help doing it."

"Really. Take a seat and tell me more."

* * *

That evening James returned to check on Craig with Major Bernstein and the man Marissa had met the afternoon before.

"Captain Langston. It is good to see you again, though I wish it were under better circumstances." Colonel Briggs extended a hand.

"Yes, sir," Craig eyed the group warily.

"Some evidence has come to the attention of Major Bernstein in regard to recent accusations against you and your wife. As we discussed before, I will be overseeing this matter."

"Are we being placed under arrest, sir?"

"Nothing of the sort, young man." Gesturing to the bandage encircling Craig's waist he asked, "Do you know who did this, Captain?"

Craig shook his head. The memory had yet to return.

"Do you have any idea who would have wanted you dead?"

He let his breath out in a short, ironic laugh. "I have a few ideas, sir, but among them are half of the Confederacy who would believe the ridiculous rumor that my wife is a Yankee informant."

"Quite right," Briggs nodded thoughtfully. "Well, you rest up and we'll see if we can't get this mess straightened out before the end of the week.

Major Bernstein stepped forward and lightly dropped a hand to Craig's shoulder. "I've taken the liberty of posting a twenty-hour hour guards around your house so no one will think to pull another stunt like what happened yesterday."

"I appreciate everything you've done." Shifting uncomfortably Craig continued. "Colonel Briggs said some new evidence has come to your attention. What is it?" These officers were not treating him like a fugitive and a small kernel of hope was beginning to rise. He clung to it.

The reply was cryptic. "You just worry about getting well and let me take care of sorting through this nonsense. If you need anything, Craig, please let me know."