Seven

Seven

Marissa couldn't remember the last time she'd spent so much time looking in the mirror. She'd never been one to spend hours primping or worrying over the place of every hair on her head, she'd even considered herself pretty enough, but Carolyn was a miracle worker. After the last four hours of washing, curling and setting, Marissa hardly recognized herself. She looked every bit the Southern belle and could have stepped out of a scene of North and South. "Are you sure I'm still in there?" she breathed turning eyes of amazement to Carolyn.

"That is all you, darlin'," Carolyn drawled with a grin. "You will be the belle of the ball and Dr. Langston will never know what hit him."

Marissa's heart fluttered thinking of her last encounter with Craig. The officers' ball was the sort of event that little existed in 2012 and in spite of herself she was excited, almost giddy about the prospect. A little maliciously, Marissa couldn't wait to see the look on Kirsten Jamison's face when Craig claimed her for the first dance. It probably wasn't fair to think that way, but it would somehow feel the ultimate revenge on Brian and Marne—yes, definitely a little perverse. Or, maybe not, considering the way Kirsten had cornered her at the hospital the other day and told her, "Dr. Langston is mine." Not hardly.

"You girls both look radiant." Genie entered the room looking no less than beautiful in pale blue herself. "Are you ready?"

The younger women nodded with barely concealed excitement and the trio set off for the ball, each with her own need for a night of distraction and happiness.

* * *

Craig paced the perimeter of the ballroom, growing more impatient by the second. The party was well underway and Marissa still hadn't arrived. His gaze skimmed the large hall. Ribbons and colorful drapes decorated the walls and chairs, and fresh flowers dressed every table. The Confederate stars and bars hung above the doorway flanked by several regimental flags. A small band made up of three uniformed men and two ladies played festive music while several couples spun happily around the room. He would gladly join them if only Marissa would get here.

Hell. What if she'd decided not to come? He'd thought they'd made a break through the other day, but she had such a tendency to...

Craig stopped short, placing a hand over his heart sure it had stopped cold in his chest when Marissa entered the room. She was stunning. A vision in emerald green. The color contrasted brilliantly with her pale skin and deepened the rich hue of her dark eyes. Thick buttery curls spilled along her bared shoulders and her lips looked perfectly red and full as they curved in amusement as her cousin whispered in her ear. Gazing at the tantalizing curve of her lips the word ripe came to mind. He was more than ready to sample their sweetness. Setting off to claim her, he was totally oblivious to the woman who'd positioned herself directly in his path.

"Dr. Langston," a sugary voice crooned, and Craig groaned inwardly as he glanced down at Kirsten Jamison.

"Good evening, Miss Jamison." He forced a polite smile and glanced impatiently toward Marissa, longing to be at her side.