1.03 | it's a win

IF I WANTED ZED, ADDY WOULDN'T HAVE A CHANCE.

NOW

The cafeteria of Seabrook High was bustling as people flocked to their regular seats. Addison and Bree were together at a table and gossiping while Carson remained at her brother's side at the table with the Aceys. She knew what was coming after Bucky eavesdropped on the meeting between Zed, Coach, and Principal Lee.

It wasn't long before they heard their Principal over the intercom system. "Hello, students. This is Principal Lee. As you may have heard, zombie students are now allowed to eat in the cafeteria." Carson smiled a little, but groans filled the room as people were displeased by the new development. "Ugh. Just deal with it."

A moment later, a guard opened the side entrance and a group of zombies led by Zed came into the cafeteria. They were all smiles and ignored the human students that were glaring at them. As Zed looked around in wonder, he first spotted Addison and smiled at her warmly. Then he found Carson to the left and grinned, not caring how Bucky was practically shaking with anger.

Most people kept an eye on the zombies as they moved through the cafeteria line, being served slop that would never dare be served to the humans. And of those spectators, it was Addison who was practically lost to the world around her. She didn't hear a single word Bree said as she gazed at Zed.

"You know, I just love the thought of flying through the air. Oh, my God. Oxygen is so overrated, and so is dirt," Bree went on. Addison was too busy watching Zed laugh with Bonzo, who was juggling apples, to notice. "Ugh, I hate doing the dishes, but it's like I love soap. Isn't that weird?" Finally, she noticed her friend's lack of attention. "Addy? Are you okay Addy?"

"My heart's racing and my palms are sweaty," Addison murmured.

"Oh, no! You have the flu!" Bree exclaimed instantly.

"No," she said, shaking her head, "it's Zed."

Bree looked back and forth between the two before lowering her voice. "Wait, you like him? You like-like a zombie?"

Addison instantly sat straighter and frowned, tearing her eyes away from the boy. "That's bad, right? Really bad. My parents would so freak out. Are we still friends?" she asked nervously.

Bree shot her a look, unable to believe she'd asked that. "Hello, I have your back, no matter what. It's just, I don't want anybody to break your heart... or devour it." Addison's face dropped as Bree looked back at Zed with concern. "But - but this is great. I mean, look, I swear on all that I hold dear, mostly glitter lip balm, I will tell nobody. It's cool."

"Well, nothing's going to happen," Addison said, finally letting herself look back at the boy she was growing a crush on. "He probably doesn't even remember my name."

And then Zed managed to cease all chatter in the cafeteria by standing up and waving his hand. "Hey, Carson!" he yelled, grinning at the girl on the other side of the cafeteria.