3.03 | how to help

I'VE EVALUATED OUR TIME TOGETHER AND RUN THE CALCULATIONS. WE ARE IN LOVE.

The zombies were still trying to calm Carson down when Principal Lee called them over, her eyes fixed on something

"Zed. Carson," the principal called, following with a whistle.

When Carson wouldn't budge, Bonzo had to physically pick her up and carry her down the hall himself. She was put on her feet next to Principal Lee. She was looking through a window at a classroom that had most of the aliens inside.

"They did the entire course in twenty-three minutes. It only took them that long because they couldn't figure out how to work a pencil sharpener," she informed them.

They watched as A-Li got so frustrated that she screamed and broke a pencil in half. Carson knew the feeling well. But then A-Spen seemed to finally understand that you turn the handle of the pencil sharpener while the pencil was inside to sharpen it.

"Look, the utensil is functional again!" they said excitedly while showing the pencil off to the cheering aliens. Then they touched the tip and accidentally pricked their finger.

Zed sighed heavily. "The aliens stole all our class rankings," he grumbled.

"Gur zurwapa," Bonzo said, pointing behind them.

"And beat Zed's athletic records," Carson said, nodding. But then she and Zed realized what she'd repeated.

"What?" Zed said, turning around. They saw Coach replacing all of the plaques with Zed's name with new ones that were for A-Lan. "Hey!"

As they rushed over, Coach grinned at them, not sensing the tension. "Oowee, Zed, A-Lan just obliterated your best times. He ran crop circles around you. Bench press records, blew yours away. Couldn't quite get past Carson's high jump, but still got way higher than you, Zed. He's a VFO — Very Identifiable Flying Object."

As selfish as it was, Carson felt better knowing her high jump record was still intact.

"He has six-pack abs," Coach went on.

Carson leaned to the side to look at A-Lan, who was standing at the stairs and surrounded by admirers. He smiled charmingly at them. "I can get to eight, Coach. Just give me time."

"Yeah, that's kind of impressive," Carson had to admit while looking back at Coach.

"And the best part?" Coach asked excitedly. "The laws of gravity do not apply to them."

They all watched as A-Lan fiddled with his watch. Then he lifted in the air effortlessly, not held down by gravity. "I'd be happy to dunk on you, Zed," he offered.

"That'd be fun to see," Coach said, chuckling. Then he went off, likely to find more records that A-Lan could attempt to smash.

"Well, there goes your chance," Eliza said, everyone's mood much worse. "Now monsters will never get in."